Were Helmet Bands always worn on the PASGT in the Gulf?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I picked up a 24th infantry division marked PASGT with 6 color cover with the V on each side and a Private rank on the front. It does not have a helmet band do I need one were they always worn? Info on the 24th in particular? the band would run across the V. Also does anyone know when desert tan bands came out?

thanks

Use an OD green "cat eyes" helmet band. They have been used on basically every kind of U.S. Army combat worn kevlar helmet, even the MICH/ACH.

Numerous pictures are available showing the 24th ID guys sporting an OD green band on their PASGT helmets during the Gulf War era. Just search Google for "24th Infantry" and "Desert Storm".

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks is there a way to tell if the band is from the late 80s early 90s and not from the late 90s or early 2000s.

Or are they identical.

That's a terrific question. I do know that some of the earlier ones are a darker OD green color and have a somewhat coarser weave to the fabric.

Outside of those, I'm not 100% certain on whether or not there is a way to positively identify every OD green helmet band as 80s production versus 90s/2000s...

SergeantMajorGray

Anyone know when desert tan bands came out?

I found a band that works for now. I've noticed the cover is probably a med/large and my helmet is a XS is that a big deal it look decent with the band on there.

Anyone know when desert tan bands came out?

I found a band that works for now. I've noticed the cover is probably a med/large and my helmet is a XS is that a big deal it look decent with the band on there.

The tan helmet bands started showing up in 2004-2005, from what I recall. They certainly were not around during Desert Storm, so a tan band would be incorrect on a 24th ID helmet.

The tan helmet bands can be seen in substantial numbers even in pictures of the invasion of Iraq in 2003. However, the OD bands were still very prevalent, and it's not uncommon to see a mix of these even in the same unit.

It appears that the tan/desert colored bands started being made in the late 90s/early 2000s, but as I said, I'm not aware of any specific date where they started production. Even in Somalia in 1993, you only see OD helmet bands in use. As mentioned by B229, a tan/desert helmet band would be very out of place on a helmet that is supposed to represent Operation Desert Storm.

You can fit whatever size helmet cover onto whatever size helmet that you want, it doesn't really matter. However, a properly sized helmet cover will look much better on a correctly sized shell. The XS is an absolutely TINY helmet. An original, unissued, like-new XS cover will likely cost less then $10. You should put an XS shell up next to an XL example... it's almost comical how much larger the XL helmet is!

SergeantMajorGray

I've got a od band it has a newer look to it imo but it could be gulf war. I'm making a desert storm torso 24th infantry all I need is a 6 color vest cover I know they werect used much but the back of the vest has a rip and the front is usmc marked.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Helmet bands were worn more frequently than not.

The 6 color desert camouflage PASGT vest covers were rarely used in Desert Shield and Desert Storm but were used extensively in Operation Restore Hope by the USMC in the Unified Task Force in 1992.

You're PASGT vest sounds very cool, I'd love to see a picture of the USMC markings, I'd offer to trade but PASGT vest cost like $20 to ship.

post-153751-0-89587300-1456332978.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

There's another pasgt 6 color I know the band isn't right but I just picked it up at SOS I took the incorrect nvg mount off.

post-104619-0-96518600-1456358070.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Really? I know that's true for Vietnam but I feel like by Desert Shield and Desert Storm they had them.

SergeantMajorGray

From what I'm seeing in photos it was way more common to not have them than it was in the Army. I've also been told it was the case.

SergeantMajorGray

Any rationale for wearing Woodland BDUs in theater?

They had trouble supplying the troops with desert uniforms for some reason. The British had the same problem.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

They had trouble supplying the troops with desert uniforms for some reason. The British had the same problem.

It was because the US had around 540,000 in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Iraq after spending the last 40+ years focusing and planning on wars in Europe and Vietnam.

It's hard to contract, produce, and distribute something like 160,000 uniforms (3 per person) in a year.

You'll also see the occasional BDU uniform in Iraq during early stages of OIF. As stated above, the logistics of getting every single soldier clothed in desert camouflage uniforms is very difficult when there is a sudden and massive deployment of troops.

One forum member has a signature line that says something like "you go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you had".

• 3 years later...

Since we started touching a bit on helmet bands in the late 90s early 2000s, I've got a question.

So, I am currently putting together an OIF I 3rd Infantry Division impression. While looking through photos, I've noticed OD helmet bands and tan helmet bands. All normal. However, in some photos it seems there is another color. This color is a lighter and paler looking green. It almost resembles the helmet bands issued with helmets with UCP covers, despite UCP not being introduced until about 3 years later. Don't know if my eyes are fooling me, or if there actually was another color around. Again, the color is a pale greenish color almost resembling the ones used with UCP stuff. I will add pic and say who is wearing one.

post-163299-0-78535100-1580164743_thumb.png

The soldier in the back

post-163299-0-27451700-1580165020_thumb.jpg

Hes the only guy in this photo and you can see the odd color

More photos coming. The color is more noticable in some of my other photos.

post-163299-0-56453700-1580165414_thumb.jpeg

The last three or so guys in the back of the boat have OD and tan helmet bands, but the 3rd guy from the left has the color in question. You can see the difference between the colors and how it's too light to be OD and too dark to be tan.

post-163299-0-05751300-1580165534_thumb.jpg

The soldier on point. You can see the color of his helmet band clearly.

That's what I have for now. If I find any more, I'll post them. Any help is appreciated. Not much info on helmet bands out there so hopefully someone can help. Like I said. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Maybe they aren't. Thanks.