Shenkursk

SOS 2016 - THANK YOU from the OVMS

As a first time dealer at SOS, but also somebody who produced expo/convention events for 10 years here some of my observations/suggestions.

• Have you ever thought of renting some of the meeting rooms at facility & setting up a stage/chairs where some panels could be held? For instance, having some of the special guests on stage to speak about their experiences in the military?
  • Have you ever thought of putting dealers that sell the same type of items together? For example, put all of the dealers selling only German items in one area. That way if somebody is only interested in US military they wouldn't have to go through rows of dealers selling nothing but Third Reich items.

donation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

Wednesday evening after waiting 3 hrs plus potential hours of driving, walked in, set up, sold $200 without trying....bought zero. Went to motel and SO enjoyed not having to set up in the morning. I could start right in to enjoying the show and selling. It's not just about the buying....the dealers who work their butts off the get there and sell TO the public or anyone else can be beat even before getting there. Yes, 2 hrs on Wednesday is really nice! Don't do away with it, please! The traffic jam Thursday would be unbearable especially those of us who have to battle the huge entry doors. Yes, we lucked up with the weather but what will it be like next year if it's snowing or worse. This way we can either come in Wed or wait until Thurs if the weather will be better. Thumbs up to management who helped get the doors closed and entry/exit rerouted. The security guys were great, too.

P.S. Would anyone who found the uniforms that blew across the room please return them!!! :) No hope for the paper items.

Geez, this is so much fun!

I am with CombatEng44... Please do not end the Wednesday set up. After driving 14 hours from Boston, we drop off and rough set up Weds, head for dinner and then head to the hotel for a good night's rest knowing that we don't have to rush in Thursday AM to get the table set up. Thursday morning is a quick set up clean up and we are ready for business.

I also bring way more than I can set up on the tables from the start. As you sell, you want to replenish the table so the table Friday and Saturday is different than Thursday and Friday. If you price your items right, by Saturday you have little to no pack up to perform.

I am one of the guys that does "beat feet" once the 3PM bell goes on Saturday. We are usually almost out of inventory on Saturday and nothing beats passing thru NYC late Saturday/early Sunday morning. If I had to wait until Sunday to drive home, my drive goes from 14 to 16 hours just because of NYC traffic. Having to work the next day is no fun with that commute and zero sleep.

I do want to thank OVMS for the continued refinement of the SoS. To me, the only tweaks I would recommend are the earlier admittance for the public on Thursday and if there is no Life Member line at the Life Member door, admit the dealers who are standing in line.

Thanks again for a great show.

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

Many great suggestions here (and some note so much). Anyway, being a dealer now for the last 5 years at the SOS, I appreciate all that is done to make this such a great show. I'll just make my comments short and to the point.

• I also like and support the Wednesday Set up, which allows for a much less stressful Thursday morning.
  • I don't think it would be a good idea to let members in any earlier during the dealer set up time on Thursday. There is a lot going on with dealers still setting up, carts in the isles etc. and yes looking around for a short time before things open to the members and public. Members can complain we are getting first chance to look around, but I can assure you I see much less of this show trying to set up, and maintain my tables than someone just coming to the show to shop. (even with the extra hours on Wed and Thurs.) I don't think I made it down every row until Friday afternoon.
  • I would also like to see Saturday be a full day and no early pack up. Have a full Saturday and then a pack up time after the show hours on Saturday. This is only once a year, so plan for it that way. My suggestion for the long travelers is to take Monday off from work if possible. A full Saturday would be better for the public. I actually stay until closing time on Sunday and then pack up. I've sold and bought many things on Sunday sticking it out. I only have a 6 hour drive home though.
  • My biggest issue with the 3PM pack up on Saturday is the inconsiderate dealers around me who left tons of garbage all over the floors and under their tables when they pulled out. It was embarrassing for those of us still set up. I went and got a garbage bag and picked it all up. Looking around I noticed it was like that all over the show and very unprofessional to leave their area like that while many of us are still up and running. It should be a rule if you pack up early and leave a mess while the show is still running, you could lose your tables for the next year. I know, harsh. But really, how hard is it to take 5 minutes once you've packed up to throw away your trash? Better yet, keep a garbage bag under your table the entire show and throw it away as you need.
  • I'm kind of torn on only one table helper allowed in with the dealer on Wednesday. I get the security thing and early shoppers running around, rather than actually helping set up a table, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that could really use the help of my two table helpers at set up time. If anything, that is when I need them the most. Not sure how to remedy this other than maybe making a rule where "Table Helpers" on set up night (Wednesday) are not allowed to shop and should only be at their assigned table(s)? Maybe use two different color pins/ badges for dealers and helpers on set up night.
  • I also look forward to all table holders and helpers being required to be members. Over the years I've noticed the helper badges being abused and traded out for early shoppers. If you want in early, get a table or life membership.
  • And lastly I agree with an earlier comment to dealers - PLEASE price and display the items so you can see the price of your items. This is much to large of show to have to wait to talk to the dealer just to find out the price of an item(s). Many times I just move on if the items aren't priced.

Anyway, Great Job OVMS!!!

Troy

USMC 2/2 Fox Co 0311 & 1st Recon Bn Delta Co. 0321. 1986 - 1995 (Desert Storm 90/91)

US Army Long Range Surveillance Co F 425th INF ABN LRS Team 1-6 2003 - 2005 (Iraqi Freedom 03/04)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I personally see Saturday 5pm not a problem....or 5pm on Sunday if that is deemed in the shows best interest.I would set up at cot and sleep at the table if that was required. For three days you can buy-sell or trade some of the finest Militaria that exists and it's all located under one roof.Thanks OVMS.

Troy is correct...I have never left a show that I did not police my area and make a trash run.

Wednesday night table badges...Depends on the amount of tables you have ...A table holder with one or two tables should be able to get away with one helper badge.If I go shop...I cover my tables.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I personally see Saturday 5pm not a problem....or 5pm on Sunday if that is deemed in the shows best interest.I would set up at cot and sleep at the table if that what was required. For three days you can buy-sell or trade some of the finest Militaria that exists and it's all located under one roof.Thanks OVMS.

Troy is correct...I have never left a show that I did not police my area and make a trash run.

Wednesday night table badges...Depends on the amount of tables you have ...A table holder with one or two tables should be able to get away with two badges.If I go shop...I cover my tables.

Yes, I should've been more clear on the table helper issue. If only one table = one helper on set up night, Two or three tables = Two helpers and maxing out at 3 helpers with 4 or more tables to set up. I usually have between 2 and 3 tables and several loads to bring in and out, plus display racks to set up. Having my 2nd helper would be a huge help. Maybe this is something that could be considered now that all helpers need to be active members and sponsored by a dealer (Table holder).

And again, require the "Helper Badges" to remain at the tables only on set up night and not shopping. That alone I think would reduce the number of "Helpers" in the room who are doing anything but helping with set up. (I know I'll take some heat on that idea, but there should be an advantage for the dealers who are paying for the tables).

Troy

USMC 2/2 Fox Co 0311 & 1st Recon Bn Delta Co. 0321. 1986 - 1995 (Desert Storm 90/91)

US Army Long Range Surveillance Co F 425th INF ABN LRS Team 1-6 2003 - 2005 (Iraqi Freedom 03/04)

Yes, I should've been more clear on the table helper issue. If only one table = one helper on set up night, Two or three tables = Two helpers and maxing out at 3 helpers with 4 or more tables to set up. I usually have between 2 and 3 tables and several loads to bring in and out, plus display racks to set up. Having my 2nd helper would be a huge help. Maybe this is something that could be considered now that all helpers need to be active members and sponsored by a dealer (Table holder).

And again, require the "Helper Badges" to remain at the tables only on set up night and not shopping. That alone I think would reduce the number of "Helpers" in the room who are doing anything but helping with set up. (I know I'll take some heat on that idea, but there should be an advantage for the dealers who are paying for the tables).

Troy

Troy...it would be impossible to confine "helpers" to tables only...

Wednesday night is for setting up and if lucky enough. ..a little early shopping.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

donation2017.gif

• And lastly I agree with an earlier comment to dealers - PLEASE price and display the items so you can see the price of your items. This is much to large of show to have to wait to talk to the dealer just to find out the price of an item(s). Many times I just move on if the items aren't priced.

Yes, PLEASE! There is nothing more frustrating than spending part of the show tracking down a dealer or waiting for him to finish a conversation to get a price that could have been easily displayed on a tag or sticker. I typically bypass unpriced tables for this reason. I price all of my items before the show, it really does not take too long.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Wednesday night is for setting up and if lucky enough. ..a little early shopping.

I agree. Not sure how to ever solve that issue. :o But it would be nice as we all know the "Helpers" who are all over the show shopping on the early set up night and have no intention of helping set up any table, while the dealers are moving as quickly as they can with their one legit helper to try and get set up.

I've "heard" a lot of this is done by some individuals who purchase a table each year but never actually set up at the table. They just sell the table to someone else to use during the show. Basically they purchase the table to get the buttons and badges.

I guess my point is, the Wed early set up is paid for by the Table holders (Dealers) and it would be nice to not have to compete with the scamming of helper badges running around shopping and digging in boxes before the dealer even unpacks them.

Sorry, I guess I'm basically just venting on this issue, not sure how it could ever get fixed??

Troy

I agree. Not sure how to ever solve that issue. :o But it would be nice as we all know the "Helpers" who are all over the show shopping on the early set up night and have no intention of helping set up any table, while the dealers are moving as quickly as they can with their one legit helper to try and get set up.

I've "heard" a lot of this is done by some individuals who purchase a table each year but never actually set up at the table. They just sell the table to someone else to use during the show. Basically they purchase the table to get the buttons and badges.

I guess my point is, the Wed early set up is paid for by the Table holders (Dealers) and it would be nice to not have to compete with the scamming of helper badges running around shopping and digging in boxes before the dealer even unpacks them.

Sorry, I guess I'm basically just venting on this issue, not sure how it could ever get fixed??

Troy

This would be the reason to be stingy on helper badges.With so many folks they have to cater to and in making rules...we can only hope to get an agreeable result. But again, with that many members. ...some will be happy. ...some will not.

donation2017.gif

I've never been to the SOS, so thus may be speaking out of my six, but I don't understand why you'd pack up a show mid-afternoon Saturday for a few reasons. First, most shows run Sat-Sun, sometimes Friday. By afternoon Sunday sellers are packing up. Packing up mid-Saturday seems it would limit customers. I understand that this is once a year event, and some of you are saying customers should better plan for it, etc, etc...but that's not always realistic.

First of all, when did it become good business practice to limit a larger customer base? Just as one example, I know several collectors who pay high dollars for pieces who are in the military. You can't just call in sick or get leave approved because it's on the books...it's not that easy. Infantry commands, and I'm sure other commands that require training as a team, favor leave blocks and only entertain individual requests on a case-by-case basic (think wedding or funeral, and that's about it). Every infantry command I've been in would laugh me out of the office if I put 'military collector show' on my leave request. Because of this, I wouldn't waste their time with one. Many of these guys I refer to, when they do make it to the SOS, catch the red eye Friday night, power shop Saturday, and have to leave when the pack up commences. Essentially, they get half a day, and often return with lots of unspent play money simply because they didn't have time to get through the entire show. Seems to me, extending it later on Saturday or until noon on Sunday is nothing but beneficial to both sides of the table.

Let's not fool ourselves, no matter the passion for the history, dealers are, by necessity, in it at least partially, if not largely, for the money, as it's often part of or all of their livelihood, so why not extend the hours to allow the making of more money and widen the customer base to those who realistically CAN'T get there until Friday evening or Saturday? The Saturday pack up, coupled with my being military, has been the reason more than once that I have not been able to attend. I'm not going to spend the money to catch a red eye for 6 hours of shopping. It takes me longer to get through the Raleigh show.

Several dealers have said in this thread they would happily extend later Saturday or into Sunday, so it doesn't seem like a horrible idea. Logistically, I don't know what the friction might be in such an endeavor, but it's quite easy to at least look into, I'd imagine.

As a side note, can someone explain to me the benefit of OVMS membership? I was just on the site, it seems rather under construction with little information and I see no benefit to me to pay $40 a year to be a member based off the scant amount of info on there.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Shackles, Robert, on a run to the ceiling B)

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Or how about putting those who intend to blow out early in one spot, in a corner or annex...even if the front couple rows, so when they blow out you can simply take down the tables and still have a full show without gaps and, apparently, floating trash? Could be as easy as adding a box to check on the table forms...Do you plan on leaving before X Hour on Saturday?

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Or how about putting those who intend to blow out early in one spot, in a corner or annex...even if the front couple rows, so when they blow out you can simply take down the tables and still have a full show without gaps and, apparently, floating trash? Could be as easy as adding a box to check on the table forms...Do you plan on leaving before X Hour on Saturday?

There are tons of variables and solutions and legions to pacify. The OVMS with the input from us all and their Show promotion experience, will come to the closest happy medium...the object is to keep this show the impressive event that we are acustomed.

donation2017.gif

There are tons of variables and solutions and legions to pacify. The OVMS with the input from us all and their Show promotion experience, will come to the closest happy medium...the object is to keep this show the impressive event that we are acustomed.

I imagine being able to collapse tables from those who leave early, and still maintain a show with no gaps every few tables, would only add to that impressive appearance. I am not suggesting to banish anyone to the dungeon for leaving early, they could be front, side, wherever...am just thinking it would work much like a formation...keep it looking full

No need to pacify me, as I have no dog in the fight, just thinking out loud

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

I imagine being able to collapse tables from those who leave early, and still maintain a show with no gaps every few tables, would only add to that impressive appearance. I am not suggesting to banish anyone to the dungeon for leaving early, they could be front, side, wherever...am just thinking it would work much like a formation...keep it looking full

No need to pacify me, as I have no dog in the fight, just thinking out loud

I took nothing negative from your thoughts...but that has been done and tried at a few of the shows.That could be a solution. ..they have a lot to sort...such as what outlets to let people leave (can't drive in the building to load during the show)...I think one of the concerns is keeping the show open and operating during listed hours..our public complains if we are not working diligently at our tables.

I do the MACA show in Timonium, Maryland. ..it is a premier show...you are required to maintain your tables during show hours...9am to 5pm Saturday. ..9am to 3pm Sunday. If you pack early or leave early...you will not be allowed back.They put it in the application if you do not intend to stay, do not apply.The show is approximately 1000 tables...the public does not complain about empty tables...it has 1000 tables strong till 3pm Sunday.

donation2017.gif

I've never been to the SOS, so thus may be speaking out of my six, but I don't understand why you'd pack up a show mid-afternoon Saturday for a few reasons. First, most shows run Sat-Sun, sometimes Friday. By afternoon Sunday sellers are packing up. Packing up mid-Saturday seems it would limit customers. I understand that this is once a year event, and some of you are saying customers should better plan for it, etc, etc...but that's not always realistic.

My point in an earlier post about planning ahead with this show only being once a year, was directed towards dealers not customers. So we are on the same page.

I like the early set up Wed night and I stay all the way through until closing on Sunday. Some dealers (actually many) pack up as soon as the little hand strikes 3 on Saturday and I'm sure the customers who are still in the room are feeling they are either in the way and on a serious time crunch as it looks like everyone is leaving.

So my point about dealers planning for this annual event, is to plan on staying to closing hours on Saturday, with a pack up time after that (maybe 5 to 7 or 6 to 8). Then a nice rested drive home on Sunday. And if your job will work with you, take one more vacation day on Monday to get settled back in.

But as others have stated, I would have no problem with the show being open to the public on Sunday until 3, if the dealers all stuck around. Again, that would require a Monday vacation day for many. So count me in, if its put to a vote.

I just think it's a double edged sword. The show is so large, that people travel from long distances to come to the show, which in turn would require a Monday travel day if the show was in full operation for the public on both Saturday and Sunday. I think once it caught on about Sunday being open to the public, it would be a huge success. I know I do very well at local shows on Sundays. But if I had to pick between giving up Wednesday set up to have Sunday's open, I would stay with the Wednesday Set up.

Troy

I agree, i dont think the packing up and skidadling at 3 on saturday is good idea for the show....i would like to see dealers stay til closing time saturday and stick around sunday too and maybe an early pack up on sunday would be less offensive to customers and the show image....im jaded though, i take monday off anyways just in case i hit return traveling snags (14-16 hour drive) and its nice to have a day of peace before going back to work.....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

I'd be open to staying later on Saturday, ASSUMING more people from the public attend the show. As it stands, it is largely a dealer/dealer show come 3PM Saturday. Very few public still walking around, at least in the first row I was in.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

We would more than willing to stay the course, we don't usually pack on Saturday anyway, I remember in my previous life and working for a living, couldn't always get time off and the weekend was for these type of events, I wonder if the reason the public isn't walking around at 3 on Saturday is why drive 6 to 8 hours for a short day of the show and dodge of the carts heading for the back door. I think the pack out at 3 on Saturday is not a good thing for many collectors.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

The 3PM pack out is a big improvement from previous years (I have attended every SOS from the first one) . Before the 3pm rule the show was at least 1/3 empty all day Saturday closing on 1/2 empty by 1PM or so. A possible compromise might be a requirement to keep the table stocked until 5PM, close the show to the public and give the table holders an hour to pack out before the hall is closed. I don't pack out till 5PM anyway, just don't like the 7 hour death drive after three full days of SOS. I'd much rather get up a 0 dark thirty Sunday morning and do the drive fresh.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement.

A night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities to experience all three at the same time.

You can not pronounce as knowledge anything you can not demonstrate.

ASMIC Secretary

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I am of essentially the same opinion as the folks above. For every other show I attend, all day Saturday is full speed ahead and Sunday is the "pack up" or transit day. What incentive do I have to drive all the way down to get half a day (that might be half-hearted)? Not to mention all of the cherry picking that has already occurred by then.

If dealers don't have an issue taking off Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, why do they have a problem with sticking around a little longer and potentially of taking off Monday?

Griping aside, I would like to attend this show at least once and look forward to that opportunity regardless of the "hours".

P.S. I've traveled 32 hours to go to an event; I don't need the long car ride lecture :)

-Todd

Currently looking for WWI items, specifically photos of the 116th infantry regiment, and any material related to the USS Olympia.

Always on the lookout for any rations, miscellaneous personal items, pack filler, care package stuffers, knit Red Cross material, and oddball equipment to supplement the Doughboy display.
Have some extras? I help friends fill out their living history kit, and could always use more loaner gear!

As a side note, can someone explain to me the benefit of OVMS membership? I was just on the site, it seems rather under construction with little information and I see no benefit to me to pay $40 a year to be a member based off the scant amount of info on there.

That's my fault, Brig. There are many planned areas of the site that have not been fully implemented, because I am the proverbial one-armed paper hanger.

1) OVMS membership gets you early entry into four (before public admission); SOS, the MAX, and the two Wilmington Shows. We have also been experimenting with other value-added early admission benefits with other shows; for several years now wearing your OVMS badge has been a ticket to early entry at the Pomona show.

The primary motivating factor behind the acquisition of the MAX Show was to give members more bang for their buck.

2) Membership allows you to be a dealer or dealer helper at OVMS shows.

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but since there is always a waiting list for tables, why not require dealers to stay until close on Sunday? If they don't want to,they risk losing out to someone who will. It could lead to a more varied group of dealers as well. he option to not set up, arrive as a member, shop all you want and leave early is always there... Scott.

donation2013.gif

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but since there is always a waiting list for tables, why not require dealers to stay until close on Sunday? If they don't want to,they risk losing out to someone who will. It could lead to a more varied group of dealers as well. he option to not set up, arrive as a member, shop all you want and leave early is always there... Scott.

You are correct. There are a number of reasons why we are considering change, but it all boils down to this: To survive and prosper, the show must be held on days when the most possible folks can attend.

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif