1970-71 2nd Gen LINCLOE LCE suspenders?

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

Went to the swapmeet today and dug through a bag of gear. Among the ordinary ALICE gear, I found these suspenders ($4)! They have several differences from regular ALICE suspenders. They have the D-rings like the M1967 suspenders; they have those square, spring-loaded buckles at the main adjustment points (buckles marked 'patent pending'); and they have a large rectangular ring where the 'Y' divides. They are completely devoid of any markings. I did some research, and as near as I can tell, these appear to be from the 2nd generation of LINCLOE gear from 1970-71 (experimental stuff). The picture of the whole system is the primary image I used in making this determination. Can anyone confirm my guess?

post-153911-0-61529100-1456110417.jpg

post-153911-0-22769100-1456110432.jpg

post-153911-0-26670700-1456110442.jpg

post-153911-0-26798200-1456110454.jpg

post-153911-0-50093100-1456110466.jpg

post-153911-0-49498600-1456110481.jpg

post-153911-0-63297000-1456110491.jpg

They look like it to me too. You should pick up sgt Monroe & craig pickrall's book on web equipment from 1967-1974. Both are/were members (Craig passed away in 2014).

milsurp_scout_14

Thanks for those pics Tim; I've got to work on the lighting in this dingy hole I live in! Those look exactly like mine. I take it that, since the system was experimental, none of the components had any markings on them?

Thanks for those pics Tim; I've got to work on the lighting in this dingy hole I live in! Those look exactly like mine. I take it that, since the system was experimental, none of the components had any markings on them?

I have some pieces of the experimental gear. The M56 lightweight nylon stuff (c1965) was marked, usually with a small "U.S." and description, "PACK, FIELD COMBAT" for example. The only marking I see on the LINCLOE gear I have is on the Field Pack and that is only marked "U.S."

I have some ammo pouches that are unmarked except for a hand written yellow ink number.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Definitely them. The friction buckles are the give-away. NATICK dropped the idea of using the friction buckles on the suspenders as they slipped too easily and also broke easily (which is why they were gradually phased out on the ALICE packs).

GREAT find milsurp_scout_14!

P.S. Hey Keystone I see you found the site hosting all the NATICK images! I tried to get them for the book, but for some reason no one could "find" them...was told they were probably destroyed...and then, guess what, after the book it out they show up on the 'net! Guess I talked to the wrong person back then!

Definitely them. The friction buckles are the give-away. NATICK dropped the idea of using the friction buckles on the suspenders as they slipped too easily and also broke easily (which is why they were gradually phased out on the ALICE packs).

GREAT find milsurp_scout_14!

P.S. Hey Keystone I see you found the site hosting all the NATICK images! I tried to get them for the book, but for some reason no one could "find" them...was told they were probably destroyed...and then, guess what, after the book it out they show up on the 'net! Guess I talked to the wrong person back then!

Hello sgtmonroe. Isn't that always the way! :) Not that long ago I found (on eBay) two original photos labeled "M56 lightweight load-carrying system" and marked on the back "COMMANDER NAVAL FORCES VIETNAM". They show a side and rear view of the nylon M56 gear. Of course I thought about all the research you did for your book and here these pictures turn up on eBay!! You never know what is out there. The Natick site had some excellent photos.

Tim

milsurp_scout_14

Thanks for the info Keystone and sgtmonroe. I'd always wondered about those friction buckles; I have had several pieces of gear including an ALICE pack that had them, and they certainly don't seem that solid.

Do any of you have, or have you seen in person, the first aid pouch that was part of this experimental set? I know it was designed to hold two of the first aid bandages/dressings but was never adopted.

On a side note I was fortunate enough to have just found my first M1967 first aid pouch with the plastic snap at the Duffle Bag Militaria show yesterday. Person had a mix of filed gear on his table and this was in with another common ALICE metal snap pouch. I always look through the ALICE first aid/compass pouches at gun shows, flea markets, surplus stores etc...hoping to find one and finally happened. It even had a period correct bandage and sodium bicarbonate package inside.

I've never seen one in person but now that we know the suspenders are out there I'm sure these will turn up some day!

Tim

post-192-0-55387500-1461512950.jpg