More WW I Medal IDs?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

These are all probably post war issued state or city victory/service medals that are unknown to me.

Can anybody ID any (or all) of them and if possible post a decent photo of what the medal actually looks like?

Thanks for looking ... World War I Nerd

1st Lieutenant harry S. Manchester, U.S. Air Service, 8th Aviation Instruction Center, Foggia, Italy.

post-5143-0-31495400-1456100376.jpg

world war I nerd

Private Melville "Doc" Miller, 369th Infantry Regiment, 93rd Infantry Division.

Also I think I know what the ribbon placed between the two medals is, but I'd like a second opinion.

Can anybody ID that ribbon for me?

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-65266500-1456100667.jpg

world war I nerd

Last one ... an unknown member of the USMC

Thanks to all for any help.

post-5143-0-20653100-1456100876.jpg

Second from the right is the Military Order of the World War. The last one on the right is, indeed, a town or county medal. It appears at first glance to be one of the Robbins Company medals. The Robbins company produced them with a suspension where the "jump ring" attaches to the medal similar to the one pictured for Pomfret, Ct; Warren, MA; Mahoning County, OH; and the Borough of Milton, PA. I'd look there for a connection with those towns first. My bet from experience would be Connecticut or Massachusetts for an aviator.

Dennis

Too Much WW1 Militaria

The aviator may be in the MIT in the world war book. I'll have to find my copy. Can't remember if it had pictures in it or not, been a long time since I looked at it. And, why do I have to dig for everything? lol

John

Last one ... an unknown member of the USMC

Thanks to all for any help.

Well, this might not make much sense, but...this medal looks exactly like the Civil War Union Navy Medal. I've attached an example. Even the ribbon colors look alike.

Here's the website (scroll down to the center of the page):

http://exnet.narod.ru/USA/usm-12.html

-Chuck

post-518-0-43200100-1456110194.jpeg

world war I nerd

Wow, you're right Chuck, the Marine's medal is the spitting image of the Civil war Union Navy medal. What's up with that?

Could he be wearing a medal that once belonged to, or was presented to him by his father or grandfather to honor the son or grandson's service during the Great War?

Any other theories as to why a WW I era Marine would be wearing a Civil War era medal ... Anybody?

Thanks for posting!

Wow, you're right Chuck, the Marine's medal is the spitting image of the Civil war Union Navy medal. What's up with that?

Could he be wearing a medal that once belonged to, or was presented to him by his father or grandfather to honor the son or grandson's service during the Great War?

Any other theories as to why a WW I era Marine would be wearing a Civil War era medal ... Anybody?

Thanks for posting!

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, the Army and Navy Union of the United States still exists. I don't think the membership medal was exclusive to the Civil war. The design appears on the Union's insignia and I believe the badge may be worn in uniform today. It was certainly worn by US soldiers before, during and after the war. I've run into several dozens of them over the years that were in groups or estates of WWI vets.

Dennis

Private Melville "Doc" Miller, 369th Infantry Regiment, 93rd Infantry Division.

Also I think I know what the ribbon placed between the two medals is, but I'd like a second opinion.

Can anybody ID that ribbon for me?

I'm not sure what the medal on the far right is but assuming it is a WW1 town/county medal, the options are pretty small. From what I know, medals with a similarly cross-shaped planchet were produced by the Robbins Co. for Griffin, GA; Mendon, MA; Isabella County, MI; Hollis Long Island, NY; and Seneca County, OH. A similar one was also produced by Dieges & Clust for Provincetown, MA.

Hollis, NY became part of the Borough of Queens and was incorporated into New York City in 1898 so I think that is a strong possibility for the medal "Doc" Miller is wearing. Perhaps someone on the Forum will know more about him to confirm that hunch.

Dennis

I didn't think I had a picture of a Hollis, NY medal but luckily I did. Its below for reference. This one appears to have been re-ribboned. I only wish I had one of the medals!

post-1496-0-03199500-1456202525.jpg

post-1496-0-12499300-1456202554.jpg

world war I nerd

Dennis, thank you once again for taking the time to come up with possible IDs on the above medals.

Any guesses as to what the situated ribbon between the two medals on "Doc" Miller's service coat might be?

Dennis, thank you once again for taking the time to come up with possible IDs on the above medals.

Any guesses as to what the situated ribbon between the two medals on "Doc" Miller's service coat might be?

I think the issue with identifying the ribbon between the two medals is that the camera is playing tricks on our eyes. As a result, what appears to be 3 center stripes on a solid background is an optical illusion, of sorts. So in my mind I've got it narrowed down to two possibilities: 1) an early French-made version of the Inter-allied Victory Medal or 2) the French Wound Ribbon. I've seen early European-made Victory Medal ribbons that have less of a "watered" or rainbow effect that we are accustomed to. The period cameras and lighting give them a stripped appearance in black and white. The wound ribbon, although striped can exhibit the same effect in period black and white photos.

Here are a couple well-known photographs of 369th soldiers with the same ribbon.

post-1496-0-11730400-1456279909.jpg

world war I nerd

Here's another photo of Private William Henry Johnson, C Company, 369th Infantry Regiment. It shows a closer view of the ribbon, but in no better detail. Next to it is a photo of the actual medal.

Personally, I think it is the Insigine des Blesses or the French Wound Medal. I believe it was instituted in 1915, and awarded to all French soldiers who were wounded or gassed. This would include any member of the 93rd Infantry Division who was wounded or gassed while under French command.

Note that the photo of Doc Miller shows him wearing a wound chevron on his right sleeve.

post-5143-0-62305900-1456299224.jpg

post-5143-0-47283800-1456299244.jpg

Here's another photo of Private William Henry Johnson, C Company, 369th Infantry Regiment. It shows a closer view of the ribbon, but in no better detail. Next to it is a photo of the actual medal.

Personally, I think it is the Insigine des Blesses or the French Wound Medal. I believe it was instituted in 1915, and awarded to all French soldiers who were wounded or gassed. This would include any member of the 93rd Infantry Division who was wounded or gassed while under French command.

Note that the photo of Doc Miller shows him wearing a wound chevron on his right sleeve.

Sounds plausible to me.