Constabulary guidon

Spearhead

I picked up this Constabulary guidon at an estate sale last year. It has a few moth holes and repairs, but still displays nice. I also picked up a book titled The Establishment and Operation of teh United States Constabulary 3 October 1945 - 30 June 1947.

Any ideas on what the 10 and LT represents?

post-103720-0-84436500-1456056117.jpg

Absolutely awesome. I believe it's the 10th Constabulary, Light Tank troop. I might be off on that, but many Constabulary units had light tank companies. Also, great book to go along with it.

Thank you for sharing!

Yeah, I don't know. It has the leather pieces in the top and bottom to hook guidon to the pole.

I have seen some like that. Guidons for units are usually double sided.But you never know. Like is aid still a very cool piece.I did find this;

The 10th Armored Infantry Battalion, 4th Armored Division became the 10th Constabulary Squadron

The Hq & Hq Co, 10th Armored Group became the Hq & Hq Troop, 10th Constabulary Regiment

• 2 weeks later...

Well I dug this back out and looked at the back. Looks like it is double sided. Back has backward applied cloth letters and constabulary design. I missed this feature...after handling this thing 6-8 times. Just thought I would share.

post-103720-0-52510900-1457914513.jpg

firefighter

Well I dug this back out and looked at the back. Looks like it is double sided. Back has backward applied cloth letters and constabulary design. I missed this feature...after handling this thing 6-8 times. Just thought I would share.

Not sure why the would put everything on backwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Saw discussion on other Constabulary guidon, so I thought I would post a few close up pics.

post-103720-0-65758700-1467851368.jpg

Not sure why the would put everything on backwards.

I think was so when the light would shine through (and it does) that it could still be seen - even if backwards without making the front look odd.

Flags are cool!

• 2 years later...

post-34986-0-86487300-1545537751_thumb.jpg

Thought this would fit in here, the Flag of the 6th Constabulary Regiment, scanned from a early 60s 6th Armored Cavalry yearbook, interesting that they went with a Flag rather then a Color, perhaps those elements that made up the 6th Constab Regt, IE the individual Squadrons of the old 6th Cav Grp still had there Colors.

I think this flag would be a "Group" or "Brigade" flag. They would be authorized colors-sized flags, rayon with fringe. The regiments & battalions would have eagle and scroll type flags.

attachicon.gifphpZWbOs5PM.jpg

Thought this would fit in here, the Flag of the 6th Constabulary Regiment, scanned from a early 60s 6th Armored Cavalry yearbook, interesting that they went with a Flag rather then a Color, perhaps those elements that made up the 6th Constab Regt, IE the individual Squadrons of the old 6th Cav Grp still had there Colors.

I think for the time and the unit level that flag was appropriates. Like everything, the Army had to keep changing things to give some one something to put on their performance assessment. Somewhere I have a 1960s Army publication on the "new" flags.

I think this flag would be a "Group" or "Brigade" flag. They would be authorized colors-sized flags, rayon with fringe. The regiments & battalions would have eagle and scroll type flags.

Right, the 6th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and the other units that the old 6th Cavalry Regiment was broken up into would have Colors. But in this case, as the Constabulary was something new, they might of went with this.