Growing up next to a Marine

Lone Star Models

Lone Star Models

I spent much of my childhood growing up next door to a WW-II Marine. A veteran of Guadalcanal and Tarawa. He was a wonderful guy and kept me and the other boys entertained with war stories . He took me and his sons on many hunting trips. I think he may have been 19 yrs old while on the canal. He told us he had a local as a guide and sort of a protector too. His name allegedly was ZULU. He told us ZULU really disliked the Japanese and had a bag of gold teeth around his nick. One of his most memorable stories told to us around the camp fire was the night the Japanese mounted a Banzai charge . He was on the back of a jeep with an M2 and the barrel was glowing red from so much use. He managed to get through the war with only a small cut in his butt from the night ZULU poked him with a spear to wake him.

His name was Charles Walters

That's a great memory Lone Star and I can resonate with this not in the sense that I grew up next to a WW2 marine but in the sense that I grew up with a Vietnam marine as my father. When I was little all I ever knew about his service was that he served in Vietnam but it wasn't until I was old enough and interested enough that my dad gave me all of his bring backs and told me his stories from serving over there. Luckily my dad made it through his tour without any major physical wounds but he did come close to being severely injured when a large round of some kind hit a tree right above my dad's head one night during an ambush and ripped his helmet cover near in two. I even have a picture of the tree where the round hit. God only knows what your neighbor didn't or wouldn't tell you about what he saw being in both the canal and Tarawa.

Growing up around veterans of WW1 and WW2, also Korea, I was inspired to do my own service and have my own adventures.

It amazes me that so many who inhabit the realm of military enthusiasts, collectors, and discussions, have never bothered to serve a minute of their own lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike - thank you for your service.

I guess my perspective may differ a bit, in that there are a multitude of ways one can faithfully serve their country, and contribute materially to our great Republic - beyond the military. Some that come to mind are public service, teaching, law enforcement, fire fighters, EMTs, healthcare, political office, community volunteerism, and in some sense, just giving more than you take.

There are many that deeply love our country, and maybe can't / chose not to serve - for whatever reason. Conversely, there are many that have served in the military, and did more harm than good.

In my book, if you carry love for America in your heart and through your actions, that's good service by me.

Thanks again.

Growing up around veterans of WW1 and WW2, also Korea, I was inspired to do my own service and have my own adventures.

It amazes me that so many who inhabit the realm of military enthusiasts, collectors, and discussions, have never bothered to serve a minute of their own lives.

In my case I was drafted in 1970.Found 4F do to a childhood illness.Tried enlisting 3 times. No go.Went into Law Enforcement and spent 30 years serving my community.By a twist of fate I was born American and looking around I feel like I'm the luckiest guy in the world!

God bless all who serve and have served.Live by the Golden Rule and life will be good.