Aircraft prop, help identify

TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter

Got this at a garage sale today, they got it from the local base here. After running some numbers on the hub I couldn't narrow it down, possibly Hamilton type? Any help would be great. Thanks, Bill

post-123772-0-71913600-1455992619.jpg

I think that your prop is from a T-28 Trojan aircraft.

It's a bit of a difficult item to search with Google as you get about a gazillion hits from model companies when you search "t-28 prop" but check out T-28 photos and see what you think.

Can you post whatever markings you found on the blade? I can't make them out in your picture. The black on the leading edge looks like a deicer boot which may rule out being from a T-28 as I don't know that they had provisions for deicing.

I'm thinking that may be a blade from something like a Grumman S-2.

TreasureHunter

With the pot leaves on it, it leads me to think that this came off of a Coast Guard or DEA aircraft.

That's what I was thinking, I found the drawing number on a few online but they do not state the specific aircraft. Its a cool piece at cheap enough price, I just had to buy it. Seen a lot of these online dipped in chrome and displayed nicely. Thanks

You might ask on the Warbird Information Exchange and see if anyone knows the application for a Hamilton Standard 6915A-7 blade. I'm reasonably confident you'd be able to get an answer there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

6915A-7 is for a 43D50 prop which is good for R-1820. The -7 indicates that it is seven inches shorter than the basic diameter for that blade design so a prop assembled with these blades would be 132" diameter. That size would be right for Grumman HU-16.