M1911 First aid pouch. Opinions?

Dr_rambow

I have wanted one of these for quite a while and I was pleased to pick this up recently. I finally got it in hand and I am starting to have my doubts about it.

cosmetically and construction wise, it looks spot on. What really bothers me is the hardware. None of the brass seems to have had the bronze finish at any point. The back of the rivets are a bit crude, particularly on the male part of the glove snap. One big red flag (too me at least) is that the hook is magnetic.

I know the great lengths people will go to reproduce the USMC pouches of this vintage and how important proper hardware is in that case, so these inconsistencies bother me.

What do you think?

post-97349-0-94654400-1455929835.jpg

post-97349-0-95275200-1455929842.jpg

post-97349-0-74748700-1455929857.jpg

One thing to know and look at is that the hangers are always made of brass in WWI

On the back sides of the dome snaps all I've seen here that are real are always marked with the makers name on the inside of the female snaps.

You can always compare the snaps hardware with a WWI Army first aid pouches if you have any to see a difference?

To me it looks to be a good fake but I think you already think that.

Yes, I checked all of my M1907s and my pre-1915 1910s and they have patent information somewhere on the hardware. Some have no marking on the female but markings on the male and visa versa. The steel wire is a really excellent match to other early 1910 gear (the kind always accompanied by a brass tube). I figured it might be possible that a steel wire was used, but I couldn't find any other examples that didn't obviously have the larger brass wire hook.

Thank you for your thoughts.

The hook should be half hard brass wire, but could have been a replacement from another piece of gear at some point in it's Army or collector lifetime. The fabric though does looks a bit heavy in the photographs. The drawings for the 1907 and and the 1911 first aid pouch show that they used the same fabric, No. 9 Duck. The stitching should be 8 stitches to the inch. Lastly, though RIA's choice of stamping ink in this time period leaves much to be desired, I would expect that a pouch this clean would have a least some remnant of a stamp.

The hook on the m1911 pouch is steel on the example I have and the many I have seen.

The date stamp is usually (for this pouch) on the inside near/under the hook inside the flap.

The flap looked off to me so I did not bid on this one. The material looked from the sellers pics to be heavily soiled to me.

The snap from your pic looks too heavy compared to the one I have. Here is a link to my post from 2010: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46096-m1911-first-aid-packet-pouch/

If you search the forum, there are many posts on this patter.

The 1911 First Aid Pouch show is in the collection of a friend. While visiting with him today to get pics of the snaps, I found he had another 1911 pouch.

post-6161-0-55980000-1456159323.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. That's the same hardware that all of my 1907s have (no idea why I have 3 of them). I have no reason to believe that the army would skimp out on an already over-engineered pouch.

I've arranged to return this one. Seller agreed to disagree about it.