Dodge WC55 M6 Gun Motor Carriage

Wlundy

My father inherited a Dodge WC55 from his older brother 20 years ago when he passed away. When we got around to doing some minor restoration to it we noticed the extra holes and reinforced bed authenticating it as a WC55 that had been stripped back down to the WC52. We have just gotten around to building the shield, pedastal, and gun. I'm a welder and fabricator and without any blueprints it hasn't been an easy process. I built the shield off of scaling a 1/32 scale model and the other parts from looking at pictures and referencing the towed version. If anyone has any knowledge of this truck please post. And we are always looking for more pictures other than the couple you can find on a google search.

Appreciate the replies guys. Jeeper- we own a couple dodge manuals and two TM9-720/1720 which is the manual exclusively for the M6 but what is really disappointing is that neither manual has a single picture of the truck in it. The specific manual for the M6 only shows pictures of the WC51, 56, 54, and 53.

Jonah- Id greatly appreciate it if you could get contact information!

The WC in this video

was sold a couple of years ago. Some of the things the host says aren't accurate but the truck is beautiful and as you can see the gun is functional. I'm aware of several former WC55s in the US, some restored to TD configuration and some just restored to WC-52s. Midwest Military https://midwestmilitary.com// was making the steel ready ammo boxes and is a great resource for all things Dodge. Also check with Vintage Power Wagons and Brent Mullins both of whom have restored M6 TDs in the past.

During WWII when the TD was phased out of service many of the guns were removed from the trucks and placed in halftracks by the 2nd Armored Division, while the trucks were returned to service as trucks.

post-2138-0-75291600-1456078592.jpg

Going to slowly be uploading a number of WC55 images.

Cool photo, but I can guarantee that if they fire the 37mm over the hood, they'll shatter the windshield. Wonder if they found that out too!

• 2 months later...
Charlie Flick

Very cool Dodge. Here is another one.

Regards,

Charlie

Dodge M6 37MM Gun Motor Carriage ed.jpg