Sons of the Revolution

Lone Star Models

Gentlemen, Still a newbie to your group but I have much to share that may be of interest. Still seeking a way to resize photos so I can post them here so none will be included with this post.

I have mentioned elsewhere my Great Aunt that was a Pearl Harbor survivor and her first husband who was a 20's era US Marine Aviator. When my mother passed away last month I helped my siblings go through her possessions. I saved any old papers or photos . After getting home I had time to go through them. I found a folder containing my Great Uncle Horace Palmers papers. One item I found was just a thrilling thing to read. I found his application to the Ohio Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. It is a fabulous thing to discover that through your relatives your family had some small part in the founding of this great country.

Horace D. Palmer descendent of Samuel Brown ( He traces his family back with marriages, deaths and dates of each.

On the back he outlines Sgt. John Browns military record.

A private in Seth Washburn's company

Col. Jonathan Wards regiment which marched on the Lexington alarm April 19, 1775..

Served 7 days, also same company and regiment 8 months,12 days, also company (a word I can not make out?) Oct.8,1775. Reported wounded in the fighting on Bunker hill, in the description list of enlisted men, he is given as of Capt. W. Walters company, Col.Denny's regiment, age 43 years. Resident of Leicester Enlisted July 8 1779 enlisted 9 mos. reported marched to Springfield and was (another word I can not make out) to Capt.C. Marshall; Mustered in by Thomas Marshall June 25 1779.

That is where it ends. He never completed this or sent it in.

Hope some might have enjoyd reading this.

Mike

Gentlemen, Still a newbie to your group but I have much to share that may be of interest. Still seeking a way to resize photos so I can post them here so none will be included with this post.

I have mentioned elsewhere my Great Aunt that was a Pearl Harbor survivor and her first husband who was a 20's era US Marine Aviator. When my mother passed away last month I helped my siblings go through her possessions. I saved any old papers or photos . After getting home I had time to go through them. I found a folder containing my Great Uncle Horace Palmers papers. One item I found was just a thrilling thing to read. I found his application to the Ohio Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. It is a fabulous thing to discover that through your relatives your family had some small part in the founding of this great country.

Horace D. Palmer descendent of Samuel Brown ( He traces his family back with marriages, deaths and dates of each.

On the back he outlines Sgt. John Browns military record.

A private in Seth Washburn's company

Col. Jonathan Wards regiment which marched on the Lexington alarm April 19, 1775..

Served 7 days, also same company and regiment 8 months,12 days, also company (a word I can not make out?) Oct.8,1775. Reported wounded in the fighting on Bunker hill, in the description list of enlisted men, he is given as of Capt. W. Walters company, Col.Denny's regiment, age 43 years. Resident of Leicester Enlisted July 8 1779 enlisted 9 mos. reported marched to Springfield and was (another word I can not make out) to Capt.C. Marshall; Mustered in by Thomas Marshall June 25 1779.

That is where it ends. He never completed this or sent it in.

Hope some might have enjoyd reading this.

Mike

Mike,

Hey that is something to be proud about and you could prob Join the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution or Sons of the American Revolution. Just need to prove by getting birth records and prove your decent. Looks like your relatives and mine fought at Bunker Hill and marched on the Lexington Alarm around the same time as many did from Massachusetts although they were from different towns ( like a yellow jackets nest being disturbed) Your relative prob fought in the French and Indian War too based on his age in New York, Lake George Fort William Henry (last of the Mohicans) Carillon, "Fort Ticonderoga" Invasion of Canada, etc. Contrary to what has been said in modern history, the men from Massachusetts were some seasoned warriors by the time the revolution happened and were instrumental in many of the early war victories against the French and the British. If you look at the history of the Revolution the Northern Army pretty much drove the British out of New England at the start of the war and they were forced to fight down south. The Massachusetts Militia were well organized and trained and had a long history of successful campaigns and expeditions. Indeed they were the one of the backbones of the early Continental Army. Many Mass town history books are free on line and you may type in that town and see the history of the town as they describe the roles the men played in the earlier wars, French and Indian Wars, and the American Revolution as well as the civil war and later.

That quote is from the great records that Massachusetts has always kept since well before the Revolution!!

post-5332-0-09077100-1455845657.jpgpost-5332-0-72645600-1455845673.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

SWMDO

On another note many Revolutionary War soldiers from Massachusetts were given land in Ohio for their War Service and were some of the earlier settlers of Ohio.

Lone Star Models

Mike,

Hey that is something to be proud about and you could prob Join the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution or Sons of the American Revolution. Just need to prove by getting birth records and prove your decent. Looks like your relatives and mine fought at Bunker Hill and marched on the Lexington Alarm around the same time as many did from Massachusetts although they were from different towns ( like a yellow jackets nest being disturbed) Your relative prob fought in the French and Indian War too based on his age in New York, Lake George Fort William Henry (last of the Mohicans) Carillon, "Fort Ticonderoga" Invasion of Canada, etc. Contrary to what has been said in modern history, the men from Massachusetts were some seasoned warriors by the time the revolution happened and were instrumental in many of the early war victories against the French and the British. If you look at the history of the Revolution the Northern Army pretty much drove the British out of New England at the start of the war and they were forced to fight down south. The Massachusetts Militia were well organized and trained and had a long history of successful campaigns and expeditions. Indeed they were the one of the backbones of the early Continental Army. Many Mass town history books are free on line and you may type in that town and see the history of the town as they describe the roles the men played in the earlier wars, French and Indian Wars, and the American Revolution as well as the civil war and later.

That quote is from the great records that Massachusetts has always kept since well before the Revolution!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

SWMDO

Interesting! Looks like my Uncle just copied what is in that book! I have a family history on his mother's side too she says one of her relatives did fight in the French and Indian wars.

I recently discovered some missing relatives in Ohio and through them found that one of our relatives was recently discovered buried at Jamestown and my family goes back to the old country and was part of the family (Wests) who founded Delaware. All fascinating to read.

Interesting! Looks like my Uncle just copied what is in that book! I have a family history on his mother's side too she says one of her relatives did fight in the French and Indian wars.

I recently discovered some missing relatives in Ohio and through them found that one of our relatives was recently discovered buried at Jamestown and my family goes back to the old country and was part of the family (Wests) who founded Delaware. All fascinating to read.

Here is photo of his grave. So this must be your Great Grandfather? He was badly wounded at bunker hill.

post-5332-0-25680200-1455847442.jpgpost-5332-0-99101500-1455847455.jpg

Birth: 1734

Death: Sep. 26, 1821

Badly wounded while serving as a Sgt at the Battle of Bunker Hill June 1775

You are about to get into some Serious history. He was a SGT at Bunker Hill so that tells me he was a seasoned soldier by the start of the Revolution. I'm the family historian in my family so it is great that your saving the history. Bottom line is you have some serious family history to explore in New

England and the Massachusetts Bay Colony which would put your family as part of the "Great Migration" Jamestown, Plymouth, etc. BTW Welcome to the forum. Great folks here.

I qualified about a year and a half back -- my 6th GGF was Johnann Christian Trauger of the Bucks County , PA, militia. I think I have 3 more ancestors who qualify me including an ensign who helped guard Hessian POWs after the Battle of Trenton.

G

I qualified about a year and a half back -- my 6th GGF was Johnann Christian Trauger of the Bucks County , PA, militia. I think I have 3 more ancestors who qualify me including an ensign who helped guard Hessian POWs after the Battle of Trenton.

G

Amazing to have that family history. The 250th Anniversary is getting close! 2026 or 2025?

Lone Star Models

Here is photo of his grave. So this must be your Great Grandfather? He was badly wounded at bunker hill.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Birth: 1734

Death: Sep. 26, 1821

Badly wounded while serving as a Sgt at the Battle of Bunker Hill June 1775

WOW that is awesome! Thanks for the photos, Mike

WOW that is awesome! Thanks for the photos, Mike

I sent you a PM with additional information. Pretty well documented history out there and if you know the officer names you can really see the various battles and campaigns they participated in. You had relatives who were at the Battle of White Plains and there are Revolutionary War pension records out there where you can get some additional history and maybe what his actual experiences were in his or family members hand writing not to mention muster lists....

• 6 months later...

I thought about seeing how hard it would be to join the SAR. I have a 3rd removed grandfather who fought with Washington at Trenton was POW later and escaped and fought till the end. He was so proud that he was at Yorktown for the surrender. He is buried about 1 1/2 hours from me and I have visited his grave(in a ditch) many times. I believe I have two or three other relatives involved also.

• 3 months later...

I traced my lineage back to a GGF who was in the rev war, I recall there is a national library for sons of the American revolution in louisville, I was hoping to go there some time, I can only imagine the trove of information at that library.

• 3 weeks later...

I traced my lineage back to a GGF who was in the rev war, I recall there is a national library for sons of the American revolution in louisville, I was hoping to go there some time, I can only imagine the trove of information at that library.

Great Stuff out there. I went a couple of years ago. The Museum for the American Revolution is opening in Philadelphia these year. Great that you were able to trace back you great grandfather.

I thought about seeing how hard it would be to join the SAR. I have a 3rd removed grandfather who fought with Washington at Trenton was POW later and escaped and fought till the end. He was so proud that he was at Yorktown for the surrender. He is buried about 1 1/2 hours from me and I have visited his grave(in a ditch) many times. I believe I have two or three other relatives involved also.

I think that is neat history. Good luck. I hope you pursue it..