Replica M1 Carbine

Ronny67

• 3 months later...

I have been working on my replica carbine.

I tore it down again to add a few things:

-New trigger group with trigger, safety and mag release

-New parkerized paint job

-Front band retaining spring

-New bolt group and section of reciever

Here are a few progress pics with some of the new parts in. Making wood look like finished metal is difficult, so I am showing the process of adding depth and believability to an otherwise flat paint job. After putting on the parkerizing grey I colored in a few parts with black rubbed over the grey to give some contrast between the (supposed) individual parts.

Painting the whole thing park grey:

post-153625-0-67186100-1466265807.jpg

You can see the sight, charging handle, safety and mag release are all darker grey.

It really helps the individual parts contrast and look like separate metal from the receiver and trigger group.

post-153625-0-72696700-1466266021.jpg

Ronny let me tell you what I did. I picked up some dummy .45's. Cleaned them up and then I painted them. I painted a base coat of model paint in basic OD, so the rest of the paint would stick. I then painted a coat of black "textured" paint. Then as crazy as it sounds but it worked I put a can of OD in one hand and a can of gray in the other. I held them an equal distance from the gun. Kept them in motion and ended up with that great looking greenish gray color that the WWII weapons have. I took those guns to the SOS and other Militaria shows and they sold like hot cakes. If you don't get an even finish you always get to do it over. You may want to try this. It really does look nice.

Ronnie

Ronny check out my .45 that I mentioned in the above post #35. This is the last one I have left and I saved it for me. As I stated above this final paint was applied with one can of OD in one hand and the gray in the other....but it worked.

The OD green shows brighter than it actually is.

Thanks.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-04576700-1466909958.jpeg

post-7752-0-40257900-1466909975.jpeg

post-7752-0-58775500-1466909986.jpeg

Thanks for the photos Ronnie. Thats a good result for the method. I used Brownell's alumahyde II park Grey. Then I layered Rub-N-Buff metallic wax and black and more park grey to give a deeper, dirtier worn parked finish.... Looks pretty good IMO.

Here is the finished product. I debuted it at the local swap meet. I love watching people try and figure out what it is....

"Who made it?"

"I did."

"Yeah I get you built it but what company made the receiver?"

"I did."

"Ohhhhhh...."

That and it feels much different in hand than a real steel weapon of course.

post-153625-0-07544800-1466990800.jpg

The barrel is solid

Thanks all. I feel that my overhaul has added a lot of detail to the piece. I found myself hiding the plain trigger guard and lack of front band retaining spring when I was taking photos and I don't want to have to hide anything about this.

Believe it or not I still see a lot wrong with it.... But I am done tearing it apart.

Thanks for looking.

post-153625-0-86786800-1466996423.jpg

Holy cow Ronny that is fine. Far better method than my two hand spray and pray! Your finish is great.

Ronnie

That is a very impressive project. I hope you have a daughter or son to someday hand your carbine down to.

Chuck

When I was a kid....a real kid. I'm still a kid but back when I was a young kid I would have tried to work a trade for Ronny67's carbine. I would have offered toy's. Some of my early army/navy surplus stuff. Heck even promise to give him my allowance for a month just to get my hands on this dummy carbine. Playing army with an old funky Daisy BB Gun just didn't get it.

Again...lgreat job Ronny.

Ronnie