Grandpas WWII Bringback

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

Here is one of a few things my grandfather brought back from the war. German/Italian flag silk. It is roughly 12''x12''. I assume he got this during the invasion of Italy. Does anyone know where this silk would have hung / been used?

post-131595-0-11661800-1455832941.jpg

Have one just like it.

Typically these are a civilian type thing showing axis alliance.People would wave thing like this at parades etc to show "support" to the party :D

Tyler

I cannot positively say if they were actually made to go on a stick or just be hand held but when you see newsreels and people standing in the streets they often have paper flags and smaller patriotic or symbols that they wave during parades or marches and gatherings etc.Similar items were made in commemoration of events or when officials or dignitaries would visit.I have a few of the paper german pennants a vet brought home.

To me it also looks like it could be a roll of flags. They would then be cut up into smaller flags

Im not agreeing as there is a hemmed edge around all four sides.If it were a roll no need to finnish the edges.

Wow! I have one just like it too. My uncle AJ sent it home from North Africa. I've also wondered what it was. My best guess was parade waving too. It's size and shape is exactly like a silk handkerchief. But I would imagine that an Italian or German could get in trouble being seen using it as one.

To me it also looks like it could be a roll of flags. They would then be cut up into smaller flags

No, these were not cut up as these were flags/banners used to signify the alliance between Germany and Italy.....They were waved when dignitaries from one of the two countries visited the other...They were also sold as souvenirs....Bodes