8th/9th AF Ground Crewman "FLYING THUNDERBOLT" GROUP

doyler

A small recent find locally to a ground crew armorer who served wih the 8th and 9th AF 361st FS.

Recieved a few insignias,dog tags,named good conduct,uniforms,trunk,trench art aluminum cigarette case and lighter,.50 cal ammo can and section of german camo chute.There was also a couple photos of aircraft and some negatives I may see if photos can be produced off them.Included was this squadron patch.The same insignia is on the lid of his private purchase trunk in decal form.

post-342-0-67679700-1455778102.jpg

post-342-0-82195100-1455778112.jpg

Nice pickup.That patch is sweet.The case may have been made in North Africa.

Thanks

I thought the same.I have had things similiar that were made in Oran.

Great find! I agree on the Mossie appearance on the cigarette case.

Thanks Mike

First embossed case I have found.The vet is still active.He was also very involved in the 8th AFHS Chapter.

That's a sweet little group- the cigarette case and patch are especially neat. Congrats

Thanks Thor

There are some standard english made wool patches too.He had a Brit battle jacket in the trunk and a enlisted Brit made service cap too.

Very nice stuff Ron! The patch is super cool!

JD

Thanks JD

I made a error in the Squadron number.Should be 365 Fighter.Have a copied photo the vet had famed of a tent with the 365 FS painted over the door.

That's a great patch, Ron. I wouldn't mind seeing that battledress and cap if you get the chance.[/quot

Thanks J

Its unique.Must be a little rare/uncommon as I havent seen it listed on a couple of the patch sites.

May try to get a picture of two planes he had made photo copies of.

Patchcollector

Here's a photo of a 365th "Jug",and a little of their history.

The 358th Fighter Group flew seventeen missions with the Eighth Air Force from Leiston air base. At the beginning of February 1944 the Group were transferred to the Ninth Air Force in exchange for the 357th Fighter Group. With the Ninth, the Group went on to win three Distinguished Unit Citations and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm for the part they played in the liberation of France and their support in pushing the German armed forces back east of the Rhine river and in southern Germany.

post-13386-0-98484700-1455839891.jpg

Patchcollector

Here's another photo "P-47 Thunderbolt “Chunky” of 365th Fighter Squadron, 358th Fighter Group at High Halden, Kent in June 1944. (U.S. Air Force Photograph.)"

post-13386-0-44446500-1455840060.jpg

Johnny Signor

Doyler, yes the patch you have is an really fine one, the unit emblem is of "Unofficial" type not one "approved" via regs as many WW2 unit emblems were , but I'm sure your's is the "real deal" as the saying goes as it matches the decal nicely that is one the trunk, they must have at one time had others made as I have seen an "image" not a real patch , but the unit's design with an Orange' tail as the unit's P-47's carried , or it was the "original" concept design and they just made them with blue tails , or another possibility was the blue one may have been for other "Squadrons" in the group , regardless all's good in my opinion :)

Here's the image I mentioned .....................

Johnny

post-2068-0-04073900-1455867733.jpg

Thanks Johnny

You confirmed my thoughts of it being an unofficial design.

I do have the vets dog tags and various items.Im working on removing the items from a shadow box as he has things mounted with small nails.Hes still with us but Im waiting for the family to forward a copy of the letter he sent home detiling his areas of service and stations.

• 1 year later...

A bit more surfaced on Monday.

More photos,unit history,reuion rosters,also a bound copy of his letters he wrote home.I was told this book was put together as part of college degree project.Copies of the unit newspaper.H was quite acte in te association and attending the reuions.

post-342-0-42653500-1491962540.jpg

post-342-0-10500500-1491962563_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-44067900-1491962580_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-87311400-1491962598.jpg