Nurse Uniform (?)

BagmanL6

Good Evening,

Chasing a lead and trying to gather information. These are the best pictures I have. Can't seem to find this particular uniform (first picture) on line or in our one (1) Women's Uniform Reference we own. Wife is an active duty nurse so I'd love to be able to close the deal on this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. The thing that seems unusual to us is the placement of the ribbons. Does anyone see any other nursing uniforms/items in the pics? Thanks.

post-150797-0-37884500-1455751677.jpg

post-150797-0-24847800-1455751696.jpg

post-150797-0-82224700-1455751744.jpg

Jeff, carefully examine the garment for any tags,or inked markings that can offer clues as to origin,in a tailor-made garment they may be absent,but look carefully , also see if the seller can help you at all ? Just trying to be helpful... :)

It does look like the ANC off-duty dress but there are a few things that have me questioning this dress.

The ANC off-duty dress had pockets on the chest. I zoomed in on this dress and do not see any pockets. They might be there and just blurry but I don't see pockets.

There should be shoulder loops with maroon piping. The dress is hanging odd on the hangar so they could be on the back. In looking at the shoulder where the sleeve attaches, I just don't see loops.

The ribbons do look odd on the dress. I am trying to find regulations regarding the wearing of the off-duty dress. I have not seen pictures with ribbons being worn on this dress.

It would really help if you could get better pictures....Kat

Kat is correct about the shoulder straps and front pockets.I think I see the pockets but they are not clear.Also the sleeve were button button cuff if I recall.

This a private purchase or been modified from an existing piece? As stated better pictures needed.

Update: I did find this in the book "Women for Victory"

"Some beige off-duty dresses produced by overseas tailor shops where maroon color was often unavailable for trimmings, consequently had no sleeve braid or piping on their shoulder loops. "

This could explain why I don't see shoulder loops but I believe there should be some there just without piping. Also, why would this one have sleeve piping but not shoulder piping?

...Kat

Kat is correct about the shoulder straps and front pockets.I think I see the pockets but they are not clear.Also the sleeve were button button cuff if I recall.

This a private purchase or been modified from an existing piece? As stated better pictures needed.

Doyler,

I just can't tell if the pockets are there. Sometimes I think I might see them and sometimes I think they aren't there. :)

You are correct about the button cuff. I looked in "Women For Victory". One of the pictures clearly shows the button on the cuff.

It would also help to see the tag inside the dress.

...Kat

One more question regarding the ribbons. I found where the dress was "utilized as an off-duty dress for wear at unofficial social occasions ". Therefore ribbons would not be worn on the uniform. Correct?

Sorry to respond so many times....Still looking.... :)

I really appreciate everyone's help and input and website recommendations. Agree that there are just some things that seem "off" for whatever reason - photo, lighting, privately made, overseas made, put together, modified, etc. If I get ahold of it I'll post better pictures and hopefully solve some of the mystery. Please keep any ideas and thoughts coming and enjoy your day.

In looking at the ribbons, they appear to be

Army Achievement Medal
WWII American Defense Medal
WWII American Campaign Medal
WWII Europe – Africa – Middle East Medal

Since nurses were officers, could they earn the Army Achievement Medal?

...Kat

Kat - Your eyes are better than mine. I stared at the ribbon rack for a bit and thought the senior award was an Army Commendation. I can't speak for WWII era but I know in the more modern era Majors and below are eligible for Achievement Medals. Based on what I've been able to figure out from the site Doyler provided and the one reference we own (American Women at War in World War II Vol I) it also looks like the collar brass is placed in correctly. It should have the US on one side and Nurse Caduceus on the opposite. From what I can also tell it looks like the cape brass is incorrect as well. I don't think this is a big plot to deceive but more that the family/seller put things where they thought they went. I think the uniform is legit and the ribbons, brass are correct. I just don't believe it all goes together like they have it.

Kat - Your eyes are better than mine. I stared at the ribbon rack for a bit and thought the senior award was an Army Commendation. I can't speak for WWII era but I know in the more modern era Majors and below are eligible for Achievement Medals. Based on what I've been able to figure out from the site Doyler provided and the one reference we own (American Women at War in World War II Vol I) it also looks like the collar brass is placed in correctly. It should have the US on one side and Nurse Caduceus on the opposite. From what I can also tell it looks like the cape brass is incorrect as well. I don't think this is a big plot to deceive but more that the family/seller put things where they thought they went. I think the uniform is legit and the ribbons, brass are correct. I just don't believe it all goes together like they have it.

Actually, your typing is better than mine! :lol: :lol: I meant to say Army Commendation Medal. You are correct. I also believe it is the Army Commendation ribbon. Could an officer be awarded the commendation medal?

Edit to add:

You are correct about the insignia! There is a difference between the service uniform and off-duty dress. The service uniform has it on both sides and the off-duty dress on one side. Thanks for your help with the insignia!

Update - Wasn't able to get the nurse's uniform or any of the other items. Arrived 2 hrs early for the sale and was 15th in line. No worries. We can't get it all and the sale was run above board.

The off-duty dress was legit. The gentleman who purchased it was kind enough to allow me to look at it for a few minutes. I didn't want to push my luck by taking a picture and for the life of me can't remember now what the tag said. It had pockets and ephilets w/major's insignia. As discussed the brass is displayed incorrectly and I'm still not sure if the ribbons were worn with the dress. All in all a nice example but was missing the belt. Price was $175 which seems high to me but I have nothing to base that on.

The cape was a civilian nursing cape for a hospital in NE. I passed on that. All in all it was a good learning experience and I'll be that much better prepared when I come across another one again. Thanks everyone for their help.

I am so sorry that you missed out on the dress! I was hoping you would get it. I honestly don't know of the value. With the missing belt, I am with you that $175 seems high but I honestly don't know how rare these are. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the value of these so we know for the future.

Weird that the estate sale people would not photograph the dress so that others could see the major's insignia.....Kat

I am so sorry that you missed out on the dress! I was hoping you would get it. I honestly don't know of the value. With the missing belt, I am with you that $175 seems high but I honestly don't know how rare these are. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the value of these so we know for the future.

Weird that the estate sale people would not photograph the dress so that others could see the major's insignia.....Kat

I've seen WAAC "off duty" dresses go for as high as $200 on eBay....Haven't been watching that close lately, so don't know what the current going rate is....As for a nurse's off duty, I would say they are desirable and not some thing that comes up for sale very often....Too bad this one didn't have it's belt, as where are you going to find one?....Bodes

Good points all. The eBay prices do give a frame of reference. Like I mentioned, it's all a learning experience. I know what to look for and no what I want. We don't have a large collection but are trying to go with quality over quantity.

In looking at the ribbons, they appear to be

Army Achievement Medal

WWII American Defense Medal

WWII American Campaign Medal

WWII Europe – Africa – Middle East Medal

Since nurses were officers, could they earn the Army Achievement Medal?

...Kat

Army Achievement Medal was not authorized until about 1981, as I remember, so not appropriate for WW2 uniform.

Army Achievement Medal was not authorized until about 1981, as I remember, so not appropriate for WW2 uniform.

But if you look farther down, you can see where Bagman corrected my typo. It is the Army Commendation Ribbon which would be appropriate for a WWII uniform.

...Kat

memphis_belle

it also looks like the collar brass is placed in correctly. It should have the US on one side and Nurse Caduceus on the opposite.

You're right about the insignia placement. Normally, they should be placed this way:

off%252520duty.JPG

However, a few days ago I found this portrait picture of an Army Nurse wearing her off-duty dress:

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks. When the buyer allowed me to look at it I could tell the insignia had been on there a while. I think it was an honest mistake by the original owner and would not have necessarily precluded me from buying it. A few of us were confused at first about the different placements on the different uniforms so I bet nurses were as well at the time.t. I've mentioned on different threads I've showed up with something wrong on my uniform more than once. I appreciate the photo. It certainly shows they were worn this way during the period. Enjoy your day.