Wooden Propeller Ground Strike Can Anyone ID?

rtepak6

One of the early pieces from my collection, and recently returned during a move, I had nearly forgotten having loaned this wooden prop out to another collector. Obviously the victim of a ground strike at one point, someone along the way did a fairly credible job at removing the damaged section and turning it into a wall mounted clock.

post-3632-0-78628400-1455729225.jpg

post-3632-0-35742200-1455729234.jpg

It originally measured approx. 8’ long, has an eight hole hub, copper clad tips and leading edges, and no remains of manufacturer decals.

Can anyone decipher the code stamped into the wooden prop to help determine the type of aircraft or engine it was associated with?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

Based on what I've found online "DES H" means it is a HAMILTON prop (a couple of the references on that included propers that still had a Hamilton decal on them as well as the stamped marks.

Here's an example of an old military prop: this one for the Curtiss Jenny. It has OX5 (the Jenny's engine type) and a Signal Corps serial number, which the Air Service was part of until May 1918.

2.jpg

Survival - thanks for the wooden prop forum tip ... I plan on posting something there later today.

Bob - outstanding info! I'll start researching the Hamilton prop aspect. I seem to recall that it was originally believed to have been a "Jenny" prop, so we'll see if that pans out.

Dale