Siblings?

strawberry 9

So I received these two helmets yesterday, both from the same seller. The photos weren't great, but I was expecting two swivel bail/front seam helmets with OD straps and late war blacked brass buckles. Upon arrival, I was happy to see that both appear unissued and are in great shape minus what looks like rub marks from being stacked. There is also some residue from some material that was between them that I'm going to use Goof Off to get off. The buckles have never been adjusted and the straps are clean. The best part, one is lot #965A and the other is lot #966A! It would seem to me that these shells have been together since they left the factory in 1944! The lighting is poor but here's a pic of the two shells.

post-100432-0-66930400-1455667380.jpg

Nice looking helmets! This past weekend I auctioned off a pair helmets that had the same lot numbers, but different ending letters.

Wish I would have seen them. Were they on Ebay? What was the letter on yours?

Were they on Ebay? What was the letter on yours?

Yes, I first put them up on my website and then I auctioned them off. Their heat stamps were 1167C and 1167E, dating them both to January 1945.

There is also some residue from some material that was between them that I'm going to use Goof Off to get off.

As a side note, if the material is remnants of the waffle-pattern packing paper, I would suggest that it not be removed. Its presence further cements the fact of how minty they are.

As a side note, if the material is remnants of the waffle-pattern packing paper, I would suggest that it not be removed. Its presence further cements the fact of how minty they are.

I don't think that is what it is. Its more like a gummy substance. I'm thinking maybe bubble wrap was used at some point and it melted/broke down. Should come off easy enough. Correction to my earlier post, I'm going to use goo-gone, not goof-off.

• 2 weeks later...
USMC-RECON0321

Cleaned off the gunk with Goo-Gone and realized that the numbers are actually 365A & 366A. Even better, they're both Schlueters!

Great minty helmets and schlueters to boot! But I'm not so sure 365A and 366A would be one helmet made just after the other (If that's what you meant?) 365 and 366 would be two "Lots" of helmets (How many are made in a "lot" before switching to the next "Lot" number or letter prefix for a "lot" I have no idea?)

Nice finds

Troy

Great minty helmets and schlueters to boot! But I'm not so sure 365A and 366A would be one helmet made just after the other (If that's what you meant?) 365 and 366 would be two "Lots" of helmets (How many are made in a "lot" before switching to the next "Lot" number or letter prefix for a "lot" I have no idea?)

Nice finds

Troy

That's a good point. Well, they're cousins at least. ?

Very good hand-eye coordination to throw them up in the air and snap a photo like that... ;)

Great photography also, you really pulled off the floating helmet trick very well....mike