Glass Milk Containers

Wlundy

Here's a couple glass milk containers I've picked up that I find really neat. I'm from Kansas and these are from local dairy's as well. I've seen a few more images from local dariy's but these are the only two I have gotten so far.

post-161963-0-95184100-1455598209.jpgpost-161963-0-46516700-1455598215.jpg

trenchrat1918

Very nice bottles, I always have liked the graphics on the milk bottles. What dairies are these from? It's nice to see original bottles since so many of the wartime bottles you see now are fantasy pieces.

Those are very neat as well! Any idea what dairies used those bottles. My "food fights too" bottle is out of New Jersey and my "keep em flyin" bottle is from Winfield kansas.

trenchrat1918

The 'Think, Act, Work victory bottle is from Palmiter dairy Battle Creek, MI., The Ohleens for Victory bottle is from Minneapolis, MIN, and the 'Save our freedom bottle save materials bottle is from Progressive dairy Racine, WIS.

The only other bottle I have is from the Springport Dairy and that's on loan to our local museum so I don't have a picture right now. The Springport dairy bottle is one of three that have been identified and features Uncle Sam.

Those are very neat as well! Any idea what dairies used those bottles. My "food fights too" bottle is out of New Jersey and my "keep em flyin" bottle is from Winfield kansas.

• 3 weeks later...

Replying late to this thread, but might as well keep it going. Here is a pic of a few I picked up. Have some others I'll have to photo and post as well.

post-12077-0-01954400-1457736916.jpg

trenchrat1918

Replying late to this thread, but might as well keep it going. Here is a pic of a few I picked up. Have some others I'll have to photo and post as well.

Very nice group of milk bottles, I especially like the same graphics on different size bottles. What dairies are these from? Wes.

The dairy's include: Dolly Madison, Millers, Cloverleaf, Winfield, Midwest, Sibley Farms and Athens.

Here are a couple more pics of some smaller ones in my collection.

post-12077-0-74605900-1457754749.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
firefighter

Those are cool. I never thought of ever looking at milk jugs before. I'm sure there are fakes out there.Anyway to tell the difference?

trenchrat1918

Unfortunately fake bottles are a huge problems, with bottles with war slogans being a favorite target of forgers. I am definitely not an expert but I have learned a thing or two over the years so I will share the little that I have learned. Your biggest weapon is research and the internet, Google is your friend.

The color printed bottles are pyroglazed (a form of silk screening) and the real ones will have some wear as they were used repeatedly and the chemicals used to wash them would fade the pyrography. A lot of the fake bottles seen will be old bottles that are overpainted with a stencil. If the graphics scrape off easily then it is a fake, real ones will not do this. Square bottles tend to be post war, but not all so this is not a conclusive test. I'm not sure why but a lot of fake bottles are dated 1951, obviously not WW2 era. Any bottle marked Wheaton glass on the bottom is fake, Wheaton bottles are modern.

Be very careful buying bottles on epay, there are a lot of reproductions, here are a few things I look for The seller has lots of war slogan bottles and the bottles are new or like new, the seller has cheap prices, the seller has more than one of the same bottle.Do an advanced search of completed listings, if a lot of the same kind of bottle have sold or are for sale, run. Be very careful of barn or warehouse finds or sellers claiming to have new old stock.

Here is a list of some of the most commonly faked or reproduced bottles that I have seen. Sorry if your bottle is on the list but it's probably not real.

Mc Veigh dairy, Athens dairy, Natoma Farms with the plane, Midwest dairy with the plane, Winfield Dairy with the plane, Cloverleaf dairy and Millers dairy.

Hope this helps, Wes

Sorry I can't add photos but I'm floating around on a big lake with very poor service, think dial up circa 1996.

Those are cool. I never thought of ever looking at milk jugs before. I'm sure there are fakes out there.Anyway to tell the difference?

• 3 years later...

Picked this one up a couple of days ago. My first war time milk bottle. Bottom is embossed 43 for 1943. This one is called a "cream top." The bulb at the top is for the cream to separate and float to the top. Then it can be extracted for use. Pre-pasteurization. Enjoy.

Thanks, Al

Sideways gremlin is at work. Click on image for the correct orientation.

post-12790-0-22511800-1576961011.jpg

post-12790-0-89740500-1576961026.jpg

post-12790-0-82007600-1576961047.jpg

post-12790-0-53001700-1576961062.jpg

Picked this one up a couple of days ago. My first war time milk bottle. Bottom is embossed 43 for 1943. This one is called a "cream top." The bulb at the top is for the cream to separate and float to the top. Then it can be extracted for use. Pre-pasteurization. Enjoy.

Thanks, Al

That is homogenization, not pasteurization.

I commented on this thread almost 3 years ago and have been looking for bottles like these ever since, without any luck. At least a know a little more about real vs fake bottles if I do run into one.

I had been looking for any kind of WW2 milk bottle for about 10 years, (in Wisconsin, the "dairy state") and we finally had a wartime one come in the shop this week!

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG