New ega book just announced by Schiffer

warguy

So there is another thread that has talked about an ega reference due out for some time. In fact I think the thread was started in 2014! In an early post on that thread, a forum member indicated there were actually two books in the works, one by Schiffer Publishing. I believe the other more discussed reference will be a Bender Publishing book. I hope to see something on that soon.

I just received my catalogue of Schiffer Publishing books and a new book titled United States Marine Corps Emblems 1804 to World War I by Frederick Biiuer is due out in May. From the photos, looks of course to cover early emblems, EM collar discs and officer ega's WWI and prior. Something finally after such a long wait. Hopefully the Bender book will come out soon and the two might compliment one another. The Sciffer book is 224 pages with 333 color and BW photos at $49.99. Kevin

The Schiffer book will have great pictures but the Bender will have the information we need if the publishing companies follow there usual formats.

The books are drastically different in how each author approached the topic. Fred is doing a multi volume set as he covered from pre EGA time period and has exhausted most museums, private collections and archives. Tim has utilized as much collector help and museums he has been able to aces over the past several years. Many collectors on the forum have helped Tim in providing him with photos as well of their collections

I have shared all archival information I discovered with both of them and will acquire both of their books as they will compIiment each other. Combined they will provide the best photographic resource for EGA identification.

Having seen and contributed to Fred's work, I think all will be impressed with the volume of never before seen EGA insignia. My mind was blown with the stuff he has in the book, including all the stuff normally associated with Bannerman surplus and still being produced today off of original dies.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear they'll complement each other, nothing more frustrating than references contradicting each other

Unless they coordinated efforts, which I don't think happened, I am unsure about contradictions Tim. I suspect you may see some contradictions in the arena of dating emblems. I know Dr Briuer had built a complex index of emblems over decades of research, each catalogued and identified with a number system, then through extensive photographic analysis, he placed a start and end date for the wear of each device based on accurately dated photos. He did account for what could be an individual who could have inherited their insignia and/or wore them beyond the time that they may have been sold.

There are so many "models" and "patterns" assigned to EGA devices that are just plain wrong, with absolutely no analysis/proof to back it up. I hope Mr Klie took some of this into account and didn't rely on existing data (Moran's book, Driscoll's work, or this forum). The majority of devices do not prescribe to regulations (with few exceptions) and cant be assigned a pattern as they varied and changed so frequently with the many different and unchecked makers. The best we can do is assign them a "timeframe" of use and in some cases show when they first started to appear. I think this was Fred's methodology.

I know he also had studied the number of devices in collections and those bought and sold on E-bay since its inception in the 90's to determine a scale of availability (like a common to rare scale) and value. The value of devices is all over the map, so very hard to prescribe. I do not know if any of this is included in this volume. He had told me that this was a multi-volume effort, so maybe more in the future.

Either way, you can see he took a very scientific approach to the book and it should prove to advance the hobby by leaps and bounds. As a contributor to this effort, I for one, am very excited.

I found the cover of Dr Briuer's book on Schiffer's website.

Mike

post-1315-0-91139100-1456506926.jpg

I just got off the phone with Roger to discuss my own book series Heroes In Our Midst, but had to ask him about the ega reference. He is in the final stages of production prior to going to press. He states there will be 2,300 individual color plates (front and back) of ega's! He believes that he will beat Schiffer's release by about a month. We all have something to look forward to. Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just saw on Schiffer's website that the release on this one was pushed back to July