Another named PH

8MM

Yet another recent purchase.

As usual,I bought it before I could research it..These don't last long on websites,I've found,so I often gamble.

I lose about as often as I win.

(Not Ebay,BTW)

The engraving looks vaguely similar to the 1948 pattern,but I'm guessing it's privately done.

Oh,and it's numbered as well-291022 (or 281022)

And of course,I can find no info on this name. Seller says it was found in Grand Prairie,TX.

That's all I know.

Fake?

post-109734-0-89362600-1455589327.jpg

post-109734-0-90558000-1455589337.jpg

I did see that guy,but could it be possible to actually misspell it and not be thrown away?

I for one would be pretty irate

seems implausible to me,is that something that happened much?

Spelling errors are more common than you would think. I suspect you have the correct guy without the "C", though you would have to research him to really find out.

Also, it is not fake. It is a style of engraving that is sometimes seen on WIA PHs...typically to guys that were recovering in Stateside hospitals.

Whew...

Thank you guys very much!

I'm very glad to hear it,and excited (?) to start YET ANOTHER research project..

Thanks again.

Looks like he died in 1977 and was buried in Charlotte Memorial Gardens in Punta Gorda, Charlotte Co., Florida. Maybe they have a service headstone application at the cemetary. Good luck.

Speaking of misspelled names on medals.... When Larry Pistole was writing his book "Pictorial History of the Flying Tigers," ex AVG pilot James H. Howard gave Pistole his Medal of Honor. He didn't really seem to care about it much because the government engraver screwed up his name on the back side!

Allan

You know, in the few hours I've had to research since I first posted this,I've found that spelling errors on medals is much more common than I ever would have imagined!

I've found 11 instances/reports,whatever including this one.

Crazy!

Thanks very much again everyone.

Now to track down his particulars!

Arthur E. Shondell (35287093) served with the 259th Infantry Regiment. He was wounded by a rifle bullet on April 8, 1945. The bullet struck a temporal bone on the side of his head and caused a compound fracture. The injury also resulted in Bell’s palsy and deafness, perhaps just in one ear. He spent 388 day hospitalized during which time doctors performed a sequestrectomy and a neurectomy. The latter was meant to treat the Bell’s palsy. He received a medical discharge on May 1, 1946, and died at age 67 in Florida as noted above.

Shondell’s story jibes with unclegrumpy’s comment about the engraving style being associated hospital patients recovering Stateside. This was a well deserved Purple Heart. The facts behind it give one pause for thought.

Well done Indexred. Awesome you could give us the rest of the story.

8MM, I wouldn't sweat the misspelling. I saw that one too and came to the same conclusion as the others.

• 1 month later...
dan_the_hun84

Well, this is one well-traveled medal.....I now own it here in Colorado. Its not going anywhere though, 65th Div stuff does not leave my clutches

I believe his name was in fact Schondell as spelled on the medal...he may have slightly anglicized his name when he entered the service, not an uncommon thing.