WW1 Naval Aviation Groups and Named Tunics

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Great topic on rare uniforms ...

What is the star shaped medal with a black (?) ribbon next to the Victory Medal in post No. 69?

I THINK it is some sort of mourning medal. I've seen them in GAR groups. One of the medal guys will know for sure.

John

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Here is the last one for a bit. This has to be one of the nicest looking tunics I've ever seen. It is all French made, with wire bullion, sequins on the observer wing, soutache for the o/s chevron. Named to SGT R. Yates. The sad part is, I've drawn a blank on research. He was an observer, but aircraft or balloons? I lean towards aircraft, all the balloon observers I've encountered have been officers.

post-21147-0-66484300-1455771054.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

close up of the rank The whole deal is French made. Since I can't go to the SOS, figured I'd do my own little SOS. But, none of it is for sale! lol I have another 10 or so named tunics/groups, but will have to do some digging.

post-21147-0-78398100-1455771641.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

It is bullion wire crossed Signal Corps flags on a circle of cloth sewn directly onto the wool of the 1st Army SSI Anybody want to come and take decent pictures of this stuff?

This is one of my favorite threads-thanks for sharing the aviation, and especially the Navy groups! I've never seen that First Army Balloon SSI and I think the chevron is to a Master Signal Electrician. I am still amazed at how few collectors there seem to be for the WWI Navy groups, and if anything, those uniform groups, big or small , identified to the sailor, appear to be rarer to find than Army WWI groups! There's no getting around the incredibly important role the Navy, including the Transport service, played in ending the war in 1918, instead of at least a year later, as the Germans and the Allies expected! Thanks to collectors like "Too Much.." we have some great items and their history to preserve and share for the next generation.

David

Too Much WW1 Militaria

David,

I'll post more when my wife gets out of the hospital. Glad you like them! I have another 10 or so Army ones to add. And the chevron on the 1st Army observer is Master signal electrician!

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Too Much WW1 Militaria

Here is another........ 1st LT Theodore F. Cheshire 306th FA/4th Balloon Company. He never earned his observer wing, flunked out of the course! Still, the tag is beyond rare......

post-21147-0-49229000-1458942728.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

other side of the collar, sorry it isn't on a mannequin, All my mannequins are taken, and am afraid to try to sneak more in!

post-21147-0-85436600-1458942835.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

back..... the tag is a little bigger than the normal, whoever did this was like the ad with the two morons pounding on the car battery saying "It'll fit!" lol

post-21147-0-48432600-1458943011.jpg