WW1 Naval Aviation Groups and Named Tunics

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Was just looking at the Master balloon mechanic rank in DesChanes book, and it's the tunic I have here! Makes sense since he owned it! Same moth hit at 11 o'clock!

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Last one for the day. This is serving a twofold purpose. Showing this stuff and doing a inventory. Still have Doctors/medics and black AEF to go. Have 6 big tubs to go! All named, most partial complete groups. In the past 2 years I've sold off 27 tubs of WW1 cloth! Finally, finally focused!

This is the tunic of 2nd LT Shannon pilot Air Service. This guy saved everything! I'll pull out the paperwork and scan it. He started out as an enlisted guy in the engineers, applied for pilot training, and flew stateside. Think the wing is a Robbins, you wing guys will know better.

post-21147-0-88061000-1455652037.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Stellar. ..Thanks for posting.

Robert,

You're welcome! Lot's more to go in just aviation! Isn't as good as your Carolina medal collection! :)

John

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Here is some more of the Shannon group. I'm only going to scan in some of the funnier copies of orders he kept, which are concerning joy rides, and officer's appearances, especially when going to DC! Funny,

how things never change! First, Shannon's studio picture. My guess is that he was a cadet at the time, hence the lack of rank. I'd love to find a aviation Montana hat with the white band around it that aviation cadets wore.

post-21147-0-20505900-1455751060.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Will do some of the funnier orders in a bit, there are over 60 copies of orders, along with a complete set of student flying instructions. For those of you who never served, GI's have been trying to get away with just about anything they can, for as long as there have been soldiers, sialors, airmen, and Marines! The things I saw (and had to deal with from a personnel side of things) well, it's a wonder I'm not in 7 day a week mental health care! And, "all you guilty parties out there know your shame of what you did to poor Flick!" LOL

Too Much WW1 Militaria

And, for God's sake, don't go off base (or to DC) looking like a tramp on a 3 day bender! (I for one, would NEVER, EVER do that!) LOL But, something about a cross country bus ride, being in a uniform for 3 days and reporting in...... oh, never mind! Might of been a few drinkie poo's along what way too, but hey, you only live once!

post-21147-0-37113300-1455752783.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

That's it for Shannon, there is just a ton there. Next up will be a NCO Observer, and a Enlisted pilot. Gotta dig them out. Have tons of CONUS and OCONUS groundcrew, debating on adding them. One thing I haven't added is a overseas pilot. Scott K. just had a couple of nice ones, but I was late to the game!

world war I nerd

Great topic on rare uniforms ...

What is the star shaped medal with a black (?) ribbon next to the Victory Medal in post No. 69?