How to date these Navy shoulder boards - flea market find?

Tonomachi

I picked up these Navy shoulder boards real cheap (buck apiece) at the flea market last week end. I bought them as you usually never find them on Navy uniforms that you come across at the flea markets being one of the things that is always removed. I was wondering how old these shoulder boards were?

post-1389-0-03416300-1455567972.jpg

post-1389-0-50966500-1455567984.jpg

Perfectly flat with leather straps are considered WWII, but that is an inexact science. They began to take on the curved shape after the war though.

Thanks for the information.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

The slightly curved ones came in (and this is a in-exact science in '45, from what I've been able to tell, late in '45. If they are flat with a left facing eagle they date from 1941 on, at least until the curved came into use. If they are flat with a right facing eagle, they date from the WW1 time frame until 1941. Again, the exact dates are written in jello. As a side note, I'm desperately seeking a set of pre-41 Ensign's boards (flat with right facing eagles to restore a WW1 named working tan tunic thar used slip on boards. Here is a pic of a WW1 era flat board. Unfortunately, I only have the single! %#$$^^&&%$$ LOL

John

post-21147-0-82055100-1455570909.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

the back..... If anyone has a single that would match this one, let's talk. Finding these is driving me ape crap crazy! (And for those of you who know me, it isn't that long of a trip!) :)

post-21147-0-56128400-1455571012.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Forgot to add, some of yours appear to be WW2, some maybe the late 40's through maybe the 60's based on construction. Again, it's a inexact sort of thing.

John

• 2 months later...
hardheaded

Picked up a WWI Navy grouping recently. Found this topic while looking to see if the shoulder boards in the grouping are WWI too. Looks like they are. ^_^

post-108826-0-02729500-1462152190.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

They look to be..... Could be 100% sure if I saw the back. Most if the WW1 era boards used a screw in button vice snaps.

John

The Dean of US Navy insignia and et al has a new book on Shoulder Straps and Shoulder Marks much color,

runs from 1830 thru 2012, can get it from the ASMIC book store ,its By JOHN A.STACEY

hardheaded

They look to be..... Could be 100% sure if I saw the back. Most if the WW1 era boards used a screw in button vice snaps.

John

John, Found the ID elsewhere online.

Here's the backs and the rest of the grouping, since you like the WW1 stuff ;) I got the March 1918 book and a small box. The box had the shoulder boards, Lords Prayer on the tag hanging from the chain, pocket watch strap?, and a tag with 1st A**'T. ENG. FURNITURE (Merchant Marine?)

Thanks

HH

post-108826-0-70037300-1462206897.jpg