Looking for more info on this Soldier

8MM

I bought this the other day from an estate sale scrounger.

Posted it on another forum but I'm not getting much help there,as usual.

He was a POW at Stalag IV-G.

I know he was from Portland,Oregon,and is buried in the Willamette Natl Cemetery down the road from me.

He was in the 62nd Armored Infantry Battalion (14th Armored Division)

Can anyone give me any other info?

post-109734-0-18775400-1455564769.jpg

post-109734-0-77181100-1455566133.jpg

PFC Dillon became a POW on January 1, 1945, in the Vosges Mountain area. He was apparently liberated on or about April 18, 1945, and hospitalized. He had lost an eye due to “disease.” He spent 342 days hospitalized before being discharged due to a “disability incurred in the line of duty.” His lost eye wasn’t a battle injury but nevertheless service related insofar as it was connected to his captivity at Stalag IVG.

I wonder what happened to his “Kriegie” dog tag from IVG?

PFC Dillon became a POW on January 1, 1945, in the Vosges Mountain area. He was apparently liberated on or about April 18, 1945, and hospitalized. He had lost an eye due to “disease.” He spent 342 days hospitalized before being discharged due to a “disability incurred in the line of duty.” His lost eye wasn’t a battle injury but nevertheless service related insofar as it was connected to his captivity at Stalag IVG.

I wonder what happened to his “Kriegie” dog tag from IVG?

Thank you very much for the details!

I too wonder what happened to any of his other items-supposedly there was more at the sale,but I cannot get the "picker" to give me any usable info. He doesn't know or care about this stuff..I'm working on him though.

PFC Dillon died in 1973,so I am guessing the recent estate sale was for his Wife or child,or?

A lot of time has passed since he did,so who knows what is left,if anything.

Also interesting to note that he was around 37 years old when he enlisted!

Thanks again

Is the Purple Heart named? Just curious. You may be able to track down Dillion's family using Ancestry and Intellius Premier, especially the latter. But everything from the estate sale may now be gone, especially if it was an auction. The Kriegie dog tag is something that could escape an untrained eye. If everything was indeed sold, it's possible the family kept photos. You could perhaps get one (or a scan of one).

It is not named.

I have been attempting to find any recent obituaries with the same last name,no luck so far.

And I've been fervently annoying the guy who found it originally for an address of the sale,or anything else he bought or saw there,etc!

I used Ancestry and Intellius Premier to circumvent an uncooperative scrounger who sold me a 771st Tank Battalion Ike jacket in 2012. I found family members thanks to those online tools. They only had a high school photo, but that’s better than nothing. I use Ancestry for free at my local library, and once or twice a year I pay for a monthly subscription to Intellius Premier.

From what I can see on Ancestry he was single in 1940. 1945 newspapers show relative as Mrs Blanch G. Northrup, 815 S.E. Washington St, Portland. It may be her estate sale that it was in or one of her kids?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I used Ancestry and Intellius Premier to circumvent an uncooperative scrounger who sold me a 771st Tank Battalion Ike jacket in 2012. I found family members thanks to those online tools. They only had a high school photo, but that’s better than nothing. I use Ancestry for free at my local library, and once or twice a year I pay for a monthly subscription to Intellius Premier.

Do you still have the jacket? My grandfather was in the 771st TD BN C Co. I'd love to see it.