western song from Kelly' heroes

M4SHERMAN

Most of us know the famous scene in Kelly's heroes where oddball attacks the German rail head with his 3 Shermans. What the heck is the name of the western song that is playing over the tanks loudspeaker?

BILL THE PATCH

That was sung by Harry Dean stanton while playing the harmonica. He a country singer in real life also. also the railyard seen when there done blasting hell out of the Germans, they start playing "I've been working on the railroad" pretty funny. I love that movie

That was sung by Harry Dean stanton while playing the harmonica. He a country singer in real life also. also the railyard seen when there done blasting hell out of the Germans, they start playing "I've been working on the railroad" pretty funny. I love that movie

Oh yeah the scene where a battalion of Germans are Wiped Out, I think in all at least a full Regiment was done in before the finial credits rolled :lol: :lol: :lol:.

I love that movie- yeah the railroad scene was epic to me as a kid, but looking at it now, It was like 100 MP40s and one mystery 20mm-ish AA Gun vs 3 Shermans....pretty silly

Thanks for the reference on the tune...YouTube awaits!

Wasn't there another scene where one of the characters was singing about a dog named Blue? Maybe I'm thinking of a different movie.

Found it. It's from way after WW2, as well...

You Got To Quit Kicking My Dog Around

By Jimmy Driftwood

Me and Lim Brick and Old Bill Brown

Takin’ a load of corn to town

My Old Jim Dog, the darned old cuss

He just naturally followed us

As we drove by Sam Johnson’s door

Passed and cursed him out the door

Jim, he’s good behind the box

And all them fellers are throwin’ rocks

Refrain:

Every time I go to town

The boys keep a-kickin’ my dog around

Makes no difference if he is a hound

You got to quit kicking my dog around

-Solo-

They tied a can to Old Jim’s tail

Running him around the count jail

That made us a-dead burned sore

Lim, he cussed and Bill, he swore

Me and Lim Brick and Old Bill Brown

Lost no time a-get them down

We lost them fellers on the ground

For kicking my Old Jim Dog around

Refrain: -Solo-

Jim saw his duty there and then

He tore ‘em to them gentlemen

He sure messed up the courthouse square

With the rags and meat and the hide and hair

The Sheriff came and stopped the fuss

And all them boys shook hands with us

We gathered ‘round that load of corn

And every man had a healthy horn

Old Jim Dog is worth much cash

But I can tell you, he ain’t no trash

He wakes me up before the break of day

And he keeps them revenue-boys away

He’s the best old dog, you ever did see

Wherever I go, he follows me

His voice is sweet, his name is Jim

He’d fight for me and I’d for him

Thanks for this posting. One of my favorite movies. Have now spent lots of time on YouTube listening to its songs. YouTube is wonderful! Bobgee

Lots of the era music in the movie.My dad took me to it when it was shown at our lical theatre when I was a boy.Big deal at the time as the rating wouldn't let under 12 years of age in with out an adult.Lived it then and love it now.Never tire of watching it.Brings back good times and good memories of my dad.

Burning Bridges was a big hit back then and used as the Theme song in the movie.

BILL THE PATCH

I watch it at least twice a year, if not more. I love the part where savalas is looking for the captain, the captain yells to Him I'm over here, where? Under the motor, savalas answers "da motor", what for? Classic look on his face. Or the famous spaghetti western showdown. Dpn Rickles is great.

I watch it at least twice a year, if not more. I love the part where savalas is looking for the captain, the captain yells to Him I'm over here, where? Under the motor, savalas answers "da motor", what for? Classic look on his face. Or the famous spaghetti western showdown. Dpn Rickles is great.

Love that part too...da motor??

I know plenty of people who didn't get the joke about penalties for looting from the CPT that is running to catch up with his looted yacht until I pointed it out to them...

I love that whole movie. Always impressed me that there were real Shermans and close enough tigers. Better than they could do for Patton.

"Let's make him a deal!"

"What kinda deal?"

"A DEAL DEAL!"

BILL THE PATCH

I'm digging out the DVD tonight. It's Kelly's heroes night. I have 7 cans of Guinness and 2 hrs to kill. If I'm not passed out by then.:D

It's from way after WW2, as well...

As is Donald Sutherland's appearance (and, if I recall, he also had some lines that sounded like something from the beat generation of the 50's and early 60's.

don.jpg

Yes being released in July of 1970 there is a lot OF 60s over tones, lanquage and the anti establishment sentiments dressed in WW2 khaki and drab.This is why its a classic.

Dang, now I have to watch it again, you've reminded me how long it's been...

BTW, some of might love a copy of this: http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/5864-CINEMA-RETROS-KELLYS-HEROES-ISSUE-NOW-SHIPPING-WORLDWIDE!.html

Watched it myself last night, only with Newcastle....

I forgot about one of my favorite lines and bits...

"Now I'm gonna go down to battalion, see if I can lay my hands on some dirty movies, and when I get back I want that farm house not only clean, but completely decorated"....

fast forward how many hours later he gets back, with some random officer holding what are the presumable dirty movies....

"wait here padre"..... HA!