1946 Canvas Pinup Painting of B-17 Miss Minookie

Sparty On

I purchased this painting at an auction a few years ago and came across it again stashed away in my basement as I was looking for items to sell at the SoS. This painting measures about 36" x 26". It's dated 1946 and is signed by the artist. It's also painted on heavy canvas and has that great old musty smell to it. I posted it elsewhere earlier today and found a pretty convincing match to a B-17 named Miss Minookie of the 323rd BS. Unfortunately the plane was lost on February 21st, 1944 while on its 22nd mission.

post-104736-0-75842300-1455503023.jpeg

doinworkinvans

A little something from FOLD3 about Miss Minookie...

Leading a spare element, "Miss Minookie" lagged behind and missed a turn by the rest of the formation in broken cumulus. Before they could catch up, they were hit by fighters. Four crewmen were KIA; Ward and the remining five became POWs for the duration of the war.

Fold3_Page_1_Black_and_White_and_Color_Photographs_of_US_Air_Force_and_Predecessor_Agencies_Activities_Facilities_and_Personnel_World_War_II.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
northcoastaero

B-17F 42-30712 91st BG 323rd BS. There may have been one or two more B-17s named Miss Minookie.

americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/4736