Uniform of a D-Day vet: 29th ID 111th FAB

Timberwolf

Hi all,

Well I've been looking for a 29th ID uniform for a while and luckily was able to pick one up for a really fair price yesterday. Since I won't be able to go to the SOS and missed out on a great 75th ID uniform on ebay the other day, this worked out as a really great consolation prize. A Wisconsin native T/5 Beck entered the service in 1943 and started and ended his time in the service with the 29th ID's 111th as a battery computer. The whole grouping consists of his Ike jacket, OS cap, 29th ID patched service shirt, 29th ID patched great coat (not pictured) misc. paperwork and two German bringback shoulderboards.

Really happy to have finally been able to add a D-Day vet to the collection!

post-19184-0-74865000-1455498141.jpg

post-19184-0-66329600-1455498164.jpg

post-19184-0-52202700-1455498153.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Ben

doinworkinvans

Awesome uniform dude! Love the untouched look of this...you can always tell.

Would love to know what that chest says? It has an "NC"....?!?!?!

Thanks guys!

Awesome uniform dude! Love the untouched look of this...you can always tell.

Would love to know what that chest says? It has an "NC"....?!?!?!

Thanks!

That's actually a footlocker I've literally had for years, parents got it for me when I was really young and it's just kinda hung around lol!. I use it for storage for misc. groupings, but it is ID'ed to a North Carolina vet by the name of Capt. Grover Ritchie from Albemarle, NC. How it got to Northwest Indiana I have no clue! lol!

ViewfinderGyrene

Excellent group man! A dear friend of mine who is now passed away was in the 111th, 1st Wave, Easy Green Sector Omaha Beach...

That the pin is the flag of Denmark, any idea why it's there, Beck Danish American?

There was another grouping posted with that same pin. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/251220-my-max-show-finds/&do=findComment&comment=2008724

Ben, I'll say that this is definitely a good "consolation prize." You'd have to fight somebody to get something like that if it were at SoS.

I'd say both of those guys probably visited Denmark on a pass while waiting to be rotated home....Many of the 29th personnel went home through Bremerhaven, which isn't all that far from the Danish border.

Johan Willaert

Nice jacket...

On July 23rd, 1945 200 men from the 29th went to Denmark as demonstration teams and guides in a joint US-Brit exhibition of Allied gear in Copenhagen...

See Ewing's Divisional History page 267

Nice jacket...

On July 23rd, 1945 200 men from the 29th went to Denmark as demonstration teams and guides in a joint US-Brit exhibition of Allied gear in Copenhagen...

See Ewing's Divisional History page 267

I think Johan has nailed it....more plausible than just visiting the country.

Thanks guys! Interesting to know about the Denmark connection. Oddly enough I have a "US serviceman's guide to Denmark" from another unit. Guess more GI's visited than I thought!