P-40 Warhawk wheel cover

hink441

Here is a Warhawk wheel cover I recently obtained.

According to the seller, this wheel cover came from the Pungo Airfield in Virginia. The story goes that a P-40 Warhawk was at the Pungo airfield for the annual Airshow. When the Airshow was over, the P-40 pilot was leaving the airfield and during his takeoff roll this wheel cover came off. The pilot continued on his flight and was contacted by the tower and advised that the cover was at the field. The pilot said "keep it" and continued on his flight. So the field crew kept the wheel cover as a souvenir. The seller was part of the field crew. Interesting story and a cool piece of aviation history. Thanks for looking.

Chris

post-10825-0-89814900-1455495456.jpeg

That is pretty cool and would look great on the wall with a photo next to it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!!

Here is a picture of the backside.

post-10825-0-60267800-1455497311.jpeg

...just to be clear though, this is from one of the modern restored warbirds that fly out of the Pungo airfield/museum, right?

You are correct. This cover came from a flyable P-40 currently doing the air show circuit. I have no idea if this part is original or recently fabricated. Does appear to have some age to the cover, and the DZUS fasteners have been there awhile. I doubt the cover would be original though.

Chris

BILL THE PATCH

If it were original ww2 wheel cover. I cannot see the pilot leaving it there. Even if he didn't want to turn back and land. He would have probably said, I'll send for it. Or "mail it to me" I mean original to the plane and he's says keep it. Just me thinking out loud. It is cool, make a great wall hanger.