USAF SAC Missile Badge Collection/Display

coli8344

Jay, your missile badge collection is growing! The 569th SMS patch looks in great condition, early 60's and Titan I so early ICBM-also used for some space flights. Very cool patch.

Jay V,

Awesome display.

Just a suggestion, something I've learned mounting medals for veterans where I work.

Use a picture frame with already cut matting. Also use felt with an adhesive background mounted over cardboard. The insignia is then mounted with Velcro.

The combination allows the display elements to just jump out to the viewer.

Geo

• 2 weeks later...

Great patches. 447th, Grand Forks. Minuteman II & later Minuteman III ICBMs. Strategic Missile Squadron designation until 1991 then became Missile Squadron from 91 to 98 when it was deactivated.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jay. The difference in wreath design is what got my attention. The background on the basic version is similar to the japanese made badges.

• 1 month later...

Another addition to the missile ops bullion badges. I was able to find the small Senior Missile Ops bullion badge on the far corner of the picture.

post-152401-0-95951200-1502567923_thumb.jpg

Just a heads up, when looking for missile badges some sellers list them under names such as: pocket rockets, missile rocket badge, guided missile badge (which is what they were originally called early on), missile maintenance badge, USAF rocket badge.

Some history about these missile badges with operations designators (wreaths):

Unofficially referred to as “Missile Operator Badge” these came out in 1988. They were the result of an effort to distinguish missile combat crew members from those that performed other missile duties. The process started in 1986 and after all the red tape the first badges were ready for issue in 1988. The wreaths on both sides of the missile are called “Operations Designators.” The new official nomenclature for the badge became: MISSILE BADGE WITH OPERATIONS DESIGNATOR, SENIOR MISSILE BADGE WITH OPERATIONS DESIGNATOR, and MASTER MISSILE BADGE WITH OPERATIONS DESIGNATOR. On October 20, 1989 the Master Missile Badge with Ops Designator was rechristened the COMAND MISSILE BADGE. This enhancement recognized service on a missile combat crew as a unique and important part of missile duty. As a result of regulation changes those completing their 4 year tour of missile crew duty were able to leave as a “Senior Missileer”.

• 4 months later...

I have a small collection of Missile Ops Velcro patches and was able to find two new patches recently. The OD patches I got a few years back. The patches I found recently are red, red is not a common color for missiles. These are quite puzzling and will require further research. The red patches, especially the extremely small USAF Basic Missile patch, I've never seen before and will need to see on what uniforms these could have been worn and on what part of the uniform, possibly a flight suit? Who knows.

post-152401-0-28521000-1514029873_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hello coli8344, what a nice collection you have, and displayed exc, i have a small group of items to a missle man if you i thought i would drop you a note to see if you would be interested in more items, if so let me know and i would get you information about them, thanx and again nice collection Gerard

• 8 months later...