USAF SAC Missile Badge Collection/Display

coli8344

Wow, your missile patch collection is growing. Excellent finds-they look great. I have a few patches with glue/paper residue on the back. Lessons I learned when I first started collecting: I've picked some of the glue off but never a good idea (learned the hard way) if there is any gauze backing-might result in the gauze being ripped. I don't recommend soaking the patch in water, which worked on a couple of my patches but might result in color bleed depending on the color of the paper mixed with the glue. Other forum members might have a recommendation but to me the front of the patches look fine so I just leave mine as is.

The mighty 508th SMS! Excellent

Carlos

Carlos

Was reading a thread here on the forum about paper/glue removal so I decided to give it a try,and I can say it did a excellent job and didn't notice any bad results.Jay

This patch will be late 70's and without the iron on backing was one of the first styles used. Later versions had the iron on backing so that was a very good find. Carlos

Well just finished mounting the newest items to the collection about 10 mins ago,and considering what materials I had to work with I think it came out ok. Hopefully sometime down the road I can find the pieces to really do this grouping justice.Also please forgive the picture really dark out and the lighting from the lamps are reflecting into the picture.Thanks for viewing my little display, Jay

post-564-0-00878700-1488596232_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an USAF SAC 8th AF crew member excellence patch behind a glass display I just received in the mail from a great person in Canada. I had bought a patch from him on eBay and later he told me he makes these on the side. I had told him the meaning behind the patch and he just sent it free. I was lucky enough to have been awarded this patch during my missile crew time in SAC. Missile crews were given no notice evaluations to maintain proficiency. You were not given a heads up that it was going to happen so the drill was, you drove to your site, the birds were chirping, you glanced at the cows in the farm fields as you drove down the barely two lane sit country road, smelled the flowers along the way and then you showed up to your launch control facility, SP authenticate who you are and if you saw two trucks that weren't usually there and you hadn't been told there was going to be maintenance on the site or in the capsule you could almost be certain that a standardization/eval crew (and your replacement crew) were waiting for you- the replacement crew meant you weren't going on alert that day (I'd rather go on alert). Once you changed your shorts they started the testing, watching your every move from that point on, how you authenticated, opening blast door, crew briefing, equipment check, etc then you drove with them back to the base (very long and quiet drive-no birds chirping) to take the second phase of your eval in the MPT (missile procedures trainer-the simulator) they ran you through scenarios and missile launches (if you did enough of these you learned that when they didn't stop the clock at the end of the scenario you had screwed up-then it was time to explain why to the base commander, another shorts changing event). a Perfect score earned you a qualification pin and if they were nice a new pair of shorts. Earn 5 qualifications and you earn the patch-some guys had 10+ pins. Carlos

post-152401-0-10210700-1492773605.jpg

post-152401-0-25233600-1492773613_thumb.jpg

Here's my original patch and 5th qualification pin. Note the difference in the missile on the original patch compared to the newer patch. Newer patch could be just an updated version but not sure.

post-152401-0-33913300-1492777930.jpg

post-152401-0-54125100-1492778012.jpg