• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

USAF SAC Missile Badge Collection/Display

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Latest addition to the missile badge collection-very early 60's pin back sterling basic 2" USAF Basic missile badge (Basic Guided missile badge). Later versions were clutch back as you see in the other missile badge pictures. The original missile uniforms were white, called missile crew whites-the cloth missile badges were not widely available during the late 50's and most of the 60's so these metal missile pins were worn on the early crew uniforms and they were later replaced by the cloth missile badges. You rarely see these. This one is marked GEMSCO STERLING AGO G2

This early version at 2" was larger than the basic missile mini badge which was 1-3/4" long, while the full size basic missile badge was 2-1/2".

post-152401-0-55758600-1467058826.jpg

post-152401-0-41545100-1467058832.jpg

post-152401-0-70659300-1467058839.jpg

Hey Lee! I found this one on Etsy. I had seen it for awhile, focusing mainly on the photo of the front of the pin but never looking at the

other Photos. When I finally did I realized what it was, cool surprize.

Breaking down the significance of each part of the USAF Missile badge (Guided Missile Badge):

1) Missile: It's a generic missile so no particular missile in the inventory would be represented

2) The Vertical Bands Beside & Beneath the missile: Portray vapor trails created by the missile during flight. A reminder of the lightening-quick speed with which it strikes it's enemy

3) The horizontal tricking lines darken the background: Represent the blackness of space

4) The Cluster of 4 stars: Are indicitive of both the aerospace role assigned to the Air Force and the traditional stars and stripes associated with our democracy.

5) The Hourglass shape: Signifies the weapon's round-the-clock readiness.

This information was painstakingly researched as well as a very detailed document focused on the history and origin of various Strategic Air Command patches by now retired Major Greg Ogletree, USAF. A very well respected member of the Air Force Missile Crew community.

Breaking down the significance of each part of the USAF Missile badge (Guided Missile Badge):

1) Missile: It's a generic missile so no particular missile in the inventory would be represented

2) The Vertical Bands Beside & Beneath the missile: Portray vapor trails created by the missile during flight. A reminder of the lightening-quick speed with which it strikes it's enemy

3) The horizontal tricking lines darken the background: Represent the blackness of space

4) The Cluster of 4 stars: Are indicitive of both the aerospace role assigned to the Air Force and the traditional stars and stripes associated with our democracy.

5) The Hourglass shape: Signifies the weapon's round-the-clock readiness.

This information was painstakingly researched as well as a very detailed document focused on the history and origin of various Strategic Air Command patches by now retired Major Greg Ogletree, USAF. A very well respected member of the Air Force Missile Crew community.

Thanks for the break-down of the symbols on the badge. Just for everyones information Greg Ogletree once published a book on state military forces medals and ribbons. It's an outstanding reference to those National Guard and State Guard items.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Lee, I did not know that. Awesome. I've spoken to him several times, great person. Carlos

Yep, Greg is a great guy. At one time, I believe back in the 80's he formed an ad-hoc club for ribbon collectors. I joined it and got the few newsletters he put out. It was great for identifying ribbons and I guess it was about this time that he put out the book on state military awards. He is very sharp in several areas of military insignia.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Today was not going well, packing the house for sale and then I opened up an old trunk in a closet and I found my USAF cold weather jacket that I thought I had donated to Salvation Army years ago. The size is a small!!! When did I ever fit into a small, I can humbly say there is no way I can fit into a small now but it will go with the 351st SMW display. Happy Day!

post-152401-0-41234700-1470952304.jpg

post-152401-0-54495600-1470952311.jpg

• 4 months later...

Jay V, I wish I did. Most of the information I've found was through the hallmarks alone and didn't

have missileman/guided missile badge specific info available. I wish someone had categorized these pins by time period and manufacturer which might be something I might try. I'm still looking though and would be glad to post any i formation I do find. Take care, Carlos