USAF SAC Missile Badge Collection/Display

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic display of missile badges. Thanks for posting it! I have only ever come across one, sterling marked is what I remember, I didn't buy it and forgot about it, went back next time and it was gone, to my regret. Would have been cool to have one.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

If anyone is interested I have pictures of both models on the following forum link: I didn't want to duplicate it under this topic- One I made in 1985 and the other is a newer kit. I chose these because the older kit had our missile (Minuteman II-phased out) and the second newer kit has the more current Minuteman III.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/211656-anyone-out-there-build-missile-kit-models/

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Latest addition to the collection. It has two metal machined missiles: Titan II and Minuteman III. The missiles are in great condition and so far the name on the plaque points to: ****

Colonel William T. Coleman- a retired Air Force bomber pilot, former Public Information Officer for Project Blue Book, and Air Force's Chief Public Relations Officer during the early 1970s. He was also the Producer of a series called "Project UFO" that ran on NBC for two seasons. (1978-79)

In June of 1978, while promoting his new TV show on the Merv Griffin show, Coleman spoke about a UFO sighting he had experienced while a bomber pilot in the fifties.

****Still trying to confirm

post-152401-0-18834300-1463601509.jpg

post-152401-0-81736800-1463601518.jpg

Thank you Lee. It would be neat if it's the Coleman from the story, but there are quite a few Retired USAF Col. with the same name and initial so it may be difficult to determine but the missiles are are good find.

• 3 weeks later...

New addition to the missile badge collection. The badge on the left is actually a French Army 351st GA Artillery Group Badge from 1962 & the badge on the right is one of my USAF Basic Missile Badges. I emailed one of my contacts at the Association of Air Force Missileers (who was also surprised) because though the French badge is not rare it has several features very similar to the old USAF missile badges: hourglass shape of the badge backing, the contrail lines on the hourglass backing, size, and similar design of the missiles on the front of the badge. I was also attracted to this badge because it has 351 on it which goes with my units 351st Strategic Missile Wing designation. The question becomes which came first-calls for more research. Take care

post-152401-0-94853100-1465431384.jpg

post-152401-0-35991200-1465431392.jpg

The USAF Missile badge was approved in 1958. It was initially called the Guided Missile Insignia. The guidelines for this badge were initially directed by USAFR 35-5 on May 23, 1958. It was designed by Fred W. Vetter Jr. (who retired as Brigadier General 1970). The design was submitted to and officially drawn by the US Army Heraldic Division in Arlington, VA.

The latest update on my missile badge collection. I focused this collection on the type/style/level of missile badges I wore which were the basic and senior missile badges. These is Master Missile badge but I didn't earn that one so I do not collect those (I seriously & highly respect those folks that stayed in SAC long enough to earn that one-if you were in SAC you know what I'm talking about). The bullion style badges are my favorite because, with few exceptions, they are each unique. I have found some that are almost exactly alike but I usually find detail that sets them apart.

post-152401-0-38243000-1465681061.jpg

I'm posting the back of the top row of missile badges. Please note that most mini missile badges have one rivet on the back while full size basic and senior missile badges can have either 1 or 2 rivets holding the missile part in place, it depends on the manufacturer.

I'm reposting the picture of the missile collection for reference as I post the back of the top row of badges. The pictures with start from the top left and move to the right of the top row.

post-152401-0-50240500-1466200759.jpg