34th RED BULL JEEP MARKINGS

fantomark

Hi all!

I am a new forum member and an enthusiast of WWII US AFVs and softskin Vehicles.

I am also a keen military modeller and I am at present working on a model of a Jeep of the 34th Redbull Division on the Italian Front.

If anybody would be able to give me some suggestions for any accurate Bumper Codes to use on my jeep model, I would be extremely grateful.

My idea is to build an accurately marked model based on an actual vehicle that took part in the Italian campaign.. and then be able to explain to fellow modellers what the bumper codes used means... :) !!

Ideally I would like my depict my jeep as a Battalion or Company HQ vehicle of either the 133th , 135th or 168th Infantry regiments.

Can anybody help out there?

Thanks in advance !!!

Mark

Having a long interest in 34th Division things, when I saw your request I grabbed three 34th Division books I have; a wartime copy of HISTORY OF THE FAMOUS 34th INFANTRY DIVISION ATACK ATTACK ATTACK, a late 1990s version of the same book reprinted, then a Turner reunion type book about the 34th Division.

Sorry, but not much luck. There were a few pics which might be of some general value, but aside from the 109th Engineers one, nothing super clear.

Here there are tho.

post-440-0-72701700-1455367797.jpeg

A couple of the pics are of a trailer, one of a truck, I know, not Jeeps, but marked nonetheless.

The Chaplian Jeep is cool too. I can see it is 135th marked, I would have to assume further marked to the HQ Company but I cannot quite make it out.

Typically the last number to the far right is the Vehicle numer in a regiment or Company, there were typically 10 jeeps in a Company. etc. The Chaplin was not attached to one Company, So it is whited out. I just picked 7 out for mine. Just a lucky Number I guess....

Typically the last number to the far right is the Vehicle numer in a regiment or Company, there were typically 10 jeeps in a Company. etc. The Chaplin was not attached to one Company, So it is whited out. I just picked 7 out for mine. Just a lucky Number I guess....

We'll,I don't know anything about Jeep markings, but I DO see a 135 on the Chaplain Jeep picture, and possibly a 2 to the left of the 135. The 135th was a regiment of the 34th Division.

Not sure what you are getting at or just noting that the Jeep number itself was whited out or ?

Johan Willaert

A rifle infantry company of an infantry regiment had two jeeps and two 1/4 ton trailers...

Every heavy weapons company (D-H-M) had more vehicles...

More jeeps were found in HQ Company and Service Companies of the Regiments

You can find the exact number and type of vehicles of each unit in their respective Tables of Organisation and Equipment (TO&E)

Best is to go with examples on original wartime pictures as not all units complied with regulations AR850-5 as shown on the chaplain's Ford GPW jeep which in my opinion is marked

34-135-I CH for the regimental chaplain of the 135th Infantry Regiment

Thanks Johan, I wasn't sure if my eyes were right or not.... I thought it looked like 135, then an I, then CH - looks like you confirmed that.

Interesting stuff to learn.