Finally finished my ETO pilot

38Driver

Winter of 44-45. The only repro bit are the gloves. I was going with A-11a but I couldn't get the damn things on the hands! These fit, and they look good, so what the heck. I've been working on him for a while and finally got my little room in the corner of the basement finished and there was just enough room for him to keep me company while I'm on the computer or digging through the books.

An-6550 flight suit under a B-10 jacket and A-9 flight pants. A6 boots

RAF 1941 pattern Mae West, RAF Type C helmet with A-14 mask and AN6530 goggles. RAF type 41 gloves.

Never thought I'd see the day where i was fighting with a full sized dummy to get clothes on him. Felt kinda strange actually. Not quite the same as the GI Joe days as a kid :)

Now that he's set and waiting for the call to head to the flight line, it's all good.

The Type C was the first piece of WW2 fighter pilot I ever owned. I got it back when I was a kid after a long search. It was symbolic of all the fighter pilots I'd read about in the ETO when I first found them in grade school. A few years back after getting it restored I got the crazy idea to finish the pilot to go under that flying helmet. Feels good to get it done.

I have the B-15, A-11 set up and A-6a boots ans well as the A11 helmet, B-8 goggles and A-14 along with both an F-3 and F-3a heated suit so I suppose in time I'll swap things out. But this was the one I really wanted. I must admit the mannequin from "Yanks" was worth the extra just for the quality. I think he looks the part.

post-68384-0-81316300-1455335779.jpg

That gets an A+++

just an idea! Why don't you put him in a P-38 instead of Grandma's old chair!

I got a good laugh when I read your comment. He's actually sitting in a chair that was my grandfather's ?

Looks great and very lifelike! I agree, dressing a mannequin in full gear is a little odd but when finished it is worth it. My Wife likes to say I bought a life sized Ken doll for dress up. I disagree, its a life sized G.I. Joe!

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this now Dan.....very nice job. Looks great!! Makes me want to try to figure out where I can fit a full size mannequin like that!!!

Lets just say the the odds of me fitting a second pilot in the room are very slim ?

He is wearing the B-10 from our swap