2 custom F4 pilot helmets

empireguns

Well there is no logic in someone declaring a pilots decision to commemorate his time in a unit by decorating his visor equals no historical meaning or value. This particular pilot flew over 100 missions in North Vietnam, has a DFC among others, but because he painted his visor these items have no value or meaning according to some collectors. All of his helmets were flown on missions (3 total) he decorated 2 keeping the last I suspect for flight time. That frankly denigrates the pilot and his service to his country. and is shallow. This pilot also flew in Robin Olds unit who also has some painted visors he will be disappointed to hear his flight helmets mean nothing because he painted them. Either arrogance or ignorance is responsible for these statements.

nguoi tien su

The 356th TFS deployed to Thailand (Korat RTAFB) from October 1972 to May 1974. They were flying the A-7D. Your helmet was probably worn between 1967 and 1971, the four years during which the unit was equipped with F-4s. It is interesting since they took part in the response to the USS Pueblo incident. I have no idea of what visor paint they had at the time. You have to check out when Koncak was assigned to the unit. And the helmet was probably offered at the end of the assignment.

What is written on the 67th TFS plaque? It might help to find out when/where the helmet was worn.

To the pilots themselves, the most valuable helmets are the ones worn in combat. Even if they are in bad shape, even if the paint is damaged, even if they smell!

Would you say that the value of a repatched uniform, even with similar patches, is the same value as the one that was originally worn during his service? I doubt it. Many veterans recreate the party suits they had back in the 60/70s. They sometimes go to the same tailors. It looks great, yet, it is not the same. I guess you can agree with that.

Two different approaches really. Commemorative helmets are great, because they are beautiful. However, combat helmets are top notch.

Those are great looking helmets. And as long as you like them, everything is OK, no one will argue with that.

On the other hand, I will play the devil's advocate: Ultra Hog, you can’t say that a 100 missions visor painted in Thailand prior to take the freedom bird would not fit in your collection? Nor a MiG killer helmet presented at the end of one’s tour.

Both are usually commemorative only, yet very desirable.

Well one point that keeps being overlooked is these are ALL combat flown helmets, he has sock material over the headphones on the inside on one of them. They are all combat helmets, he just decorated 2 of them. A paint job is NOT a repair it is an augmentation.

I collect flight helmets because I like them and finding any flight helmet is thrilling to me. I think the helmets Empireguns has found are insanely COOL and I would be honored to have them in my collection. I have a few helmets in my collection (now numbering 60) that are suspect but I don't care because they make me happy and look cool in my helmet room. Most people who see my helmet room don't know anything about flight helmets or military gear but they always enjoy looking at everything and they can appreciate my passion for my collection. Emprieguns, it seems to me that these helmets make you happy and I would feel the same way if I had them. Isn't that what a hobby is - collecting stuff that makes you happy? I bet some of the flight helmets in the best aviation museums in the world were not combat flow they way they are now displayed. It doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I like looking at them and reading about the exploits of their owners.

well put GTO...

sidebar...I had a APH-5 flight helmet...painted silver with a AWACS pod on top of it...can only assume it was from an AWACS unit for...er cereomonial purposes...dining in or out type festivities...while the helmet wasn't flown in an AWACS...it was still part of the units history which makes it collectible...IMO

Wooowwww... Lol

I didn't say that these helmets had no historical value, shells got of course !

That's just the way visor covers were painted. Commemorate is for sure very honorific !

For me, there's just one value, duty/war time. In my collection, there's 99% of vintage artwork without any mod'/paint job.

This is my view of the collection (I plan to write a book upon flight helmets).

A 100th mission visor cover is not the same = it was planned up there, as a souvenir ! It was very common too.

BTW, this is why I buy so rarely shells... My politic is quite straight & I wanna keep the same level into my helmet collection.

=> 100% accurate war time/use

If u like your helmets, this is the most important ! We all don't have the same point of interest in collection.

Absolutely right Ultra Hog,

The soul of the helmet is the best thing there is and if they could talk...

And a opinion is a opinion, respect that without being disrespectful to the airmen.

Along the time I've had 12 full-size pilots in my collection (presently are much less) from the 1944 P-38 pilot to the 2005 MiG-31 stratospheric one, all of them researched at my best in a painfully lenghty period of years.

At least eight of them were shown in combat situation but I'd still have zero pilots if I were keen in only guaranted, accurately proven items of any kinds wich were flown in combat operations - thus not only helmets but G-suits as well, and why not the gloves, or the oxy. masks, or the life vests etc.

Collecting these things must absolutely make happy their owner, if not there is something wrong IMO. Fantastic helmets those two, nothing to be added.

• 4 weeks later...
nguoi tien su

And also a cap from his Ubon deployment (that is definitely wartime):

16_02_25.jpg
16_02_27.jpg

Interestingly, it was made in the Philippines, like other USAF headgear I have, from other pilots also deployed in Thailand.

phantomfixer

I think a lot of guys just tossed em when they got out or PCS'd, as the hats were a unit issue, no need for them at the next squadron...just an assumption on my part....

nguoi tien su

Yes, they are though to find.

@Phantomfixer, it is possible. Luckily some guys just kept every bits and pieces.

Bullseye881

I am glad the hats went to somebody here on the forum (I guess I should have just listed them here, rather than eBay).

nguoi tien su

I can tell you that I am glad to have been able to get them. The 435th TFS cap will be published in the third volume of Yankee AIr Pirates.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread... Does anyone know if empireguns is still active or can be contacted another way?

On 2/17/2016 at 9:50 PM, Longbranch said:

I think we are just seeing two different approaches to collecting pop up here. Some like the helmets to be EXACTLY as they were flown in the 50s/60s/70s. Some don't mind a few unit embellishments possibly added to the helmet after it was "retired". That's the beauty of it. We can all collect what we like.

This is it! Well said.