2 custom F4 pilot helmets

empireguns

same group i got the smoking jacket in are these 2 helmets of the 67th Fighter squadron and the 356 Fighter squadron plus a neat license plate for the 4th Fighter squadron.

post-65446-0-69231200-1455240649.jpg

I am certain this will be unpopular but I think those who collect these personalized items should cast a discerning eye at any decorative items that lack any signs of wear and perhaps were never flown as they now appear. A helicopter helmet popped up on EBAY and it was nicely painted (Razorbacks) as I recall. Turns out that the helmet wasn't flown in Vietnam but the flyer's helmet was his after returning from Vietnam and becoming an instructor. In this case, the aviator was still out there and could verify the story.

These two helmets are nice examples of USAF flight helmets and would be a welcome addition to any jet helmet collection. The thing is, I doubt they were flown this way as the decorative parts seem to show zero wear. USAF MAJCOM directives covered what could be put on a helmet and a lot of flyers decorated their helmet after they PCS'd out of a unit. Some units did some really fancy commemorative decorations for guys who were leaving the unit. Do you have any photos of this helmet being flown? Is the flyer still around?

Again, not trying to be argumentative but the sellers on EBAY have figured out that decorations sell the helmet and that's okay unless you are paying a premium for the decoration. Yes, there are individuals who do appraisals ala Antiques Roadshow and many times, the value isn't what the owner expected.

I am certain this will be unpopular but I think those who collect these personalized items should cast a discerning eye at any decorative items that lack any signs of wear and perhaps were never flown as they now appear. A helicopter helmet popped up on EBAY and it was nicely painted (Razorbacks) as I recall. Turns out that the helmet wasn't flown in Vietnam but the flyer's helmet was his after returning from Vietnam and becoming an instructor. In this case, the aviator was still out there and could verify the story.

These two helmets are nice examples of USAF flight helmets and would be a welcome addition to any jet helmet collection. The thing is, I doubt they were flown this way as the decorative parts seem to show zero wear. USAF MAJCOM directives covered what could be put on a helmet and a lot of flyers decorated their helmet after they PCS'd out of a unit. Some units did some really fancy commemorative decorations for guys who were leaving the unit. Do you have any photos of this helmet being flown? Is the flyer still around?

Again, not trying to be argumentative but the sellers on EBAY have figured out that decorations sell the helmet and that's okay unless you are paying a premium for the decoration. Yes, there are individuals who do appraisals ala Antiques Roadshow and many times, the value isn't what the owner expected.

Who cares!! real helmet, real pilot. and these were used, maybe as you say painted afterwards but really.....who cares. nice Vietnam era helmets

PS I took these straight from his house. I have all of his equipment, medals, uniforms, paperwork etc will post some of it. always one downer out there.

Nice helmets. Ltc. Koncak flew 100+ missions in Vietnam & was awarded the DFC. I was shocked how cheap the estate sale decided to sell the group for, but fortunately I ended up with a couple good pieces from the estate. You should post some photos of the party suits.

Cheap is probably a poor choice of words, I am just used to estate sale companies wanting more than retail on military items. It's a great group & I look forward to seeing some more photos of the pieces.

haha ok was thinking the market in Tennessee was real different than Orlando Fl I think the price was almost dead on for what was in it. It's not for resale so I'm ok with it but if i were going to make it a for profit venture I don't think there's not much there after that price. It was a nice group though. what did you get to scoop up?

nguoi tien su

He flew with the 8th TFW at some point.

On 5 June 1LT Steven D. Gulbrandson, 435 TFS, a veteran of two F-4 ejections to date, received an unwelcome send-off from the North Vietnamese upon completion of his 100th mission. MAJ Sidney J. Wright, pilot/1LT Gulbrandson, PSO, in Rattler Flight Lead, and CAPT Tony Koncak, pilot/1LT Armond A. Turner, PSO, as Rattle Two, were providing flak suppression for Lizard Flight (433 TFS seeding flight). Rattler Flight put all CBU-23 ordnance on target but did not see any firing. Nevertheless, Rattler Lead hit between the inlet ramp and fuselage near the read cockpit took an AAA! 1LT Gulbrandson was presented with a piece of the shrapnel lodged in the aircraft as a farewell gift.

Great helmets!

Yes, please show the party suits!!!

Seriously nice score! Hopefully you were able to keep most of this group together it looked massive. I almost took off work Wednesday to to see if I could get something myself.

CB

Yes that was the main concern I hate to see groups broken up because they will never be back together. I paid the price to get it all just for that purpose.

As a long time flight helmet collector (> 20 years; nearly 90 at home), i've never seen such artwork on old HGU-2...

For me the 2 visor cover were painted recently by the same guy, no historical value !

An old flight helmet with artwork & no flight use is just like a chocolate cake without taste...

That's your opinion (if someone values it.) and they were not painted recently they were painted mid1970's and both of these helmets had flight use. just probably without the paint as it was most likely done as he left the unit. Comments without checking are like crepes without creme, bland.

I think we are just seeing two different approaches to collecting pop up here. Some like the helmets to be EXACTLY as they were flown in the 50s/60s/70s. Some don't mind a few unit embellishments possibly added to the helmet after it was "retired". That's the beauty of it. We can all collect what we like.