Photos Portraits of Pilots wearing WWI Wings

Croix de Guerre

Croix, Some of these you've seen. But thought I'd throw a few up anyway. Nice Thread!

post-3422-1220101184.jpg

R.F. Raymond - POW

What is the collar insignia there? The one on the right side...

The Collar insignia is the early Air Signal Service crossed signal flags with sterling silver applied wings. Authorized for about 6 months but worn thru out the war.

Thanks, I couldn't recognize that one.

Much appreciated.

BTW, what were Army regs for placement of wings and campaign ribbons at the time? It looks to me like guys could put stuff pretty much up, down or sideways in relation to the breast pocket?

Thanks, I couldn't recognize that one.

Much appreciated.

BTW, what were Army regs for placement of wings and campaign ribbons at the time? It looks to me like guys could put stuff pretty much up, down or sideways in relation to the breast pocket?

There were indeed regulations for insignia on uniforms. - However, there was much creative license especially by the air service while serving overseas.

best, Dennis

Silver wings superimposed over a crossed flags Signal Corps branch insignia. (Used prior to switching to winged props).

Kurt

Thanks Dennis,

I was sure there were regs... and am not surprised by any zoomies taking liberties with those overseas. :D

All I could think of when I saw all that jumble of placements was what my TI would have said and done if any of us had ever pulled something like that.

Silver wings superimposed over a crossed flags Signal Corps branch insignia. (Used prior to switching to winged props).

Kurt

Thanks for that clarification Kurt and Dennis... this is the first I ever heard of that insignia.

Had any US air insignia ever come PRIOR to the crossed flags with wings?

My father went into the Army Air Corps in 1930 and retired CWO from SAC @ Barksdale AFB in 1957. I have photos of him during his entire military career and remember watching him place his insignia on his freshly starched uniforms in EXACTLY the same position each time. After WW1 the was little to no doubt as to where one placed the insignia.

Dennis

Thanks for that clarification Kurt and Dennis... this is the first I ever heard of that insignia.

Had any US air insignia ever come PRIOR to the crossed flags with wings?

The air service was originally under the Signal Corps. They wore the Signal Corps Crossed Flags. DJ

My father went into the Army Air Corps in 1930 and retired CWO from SAC @ Barksdale AFB in 1957. I have photos of him during his entire military career and remember watching him place his insignia on his freshly starched uniforms in EXACTLY the same position each time. After WW1 the was little to no doubt as to where one placed the insignia.

Dennis

Well, from what I've read about the early days of AAS & AAC, the grunts weren't real excited about having those guys around anyway, so maybe it was at first just a kind of STFU attitude or something.

That's what surprised me so much when I saw the arrangements above... how in the you-know-what that could have gotten past a first shirt and his use of the English language I didn't know. Now I do. The Top was somewhere else! :D

Your Dad had to have served one way or another under General LeMay I would think, then?

teufelhunde.ret

Gents, I do very these old photo's very enjoyable viewing and particularly informational and factional as well. Thank you for sharing with us.

Croix de Guerre

Kurt

Here is an example of that insignia worn by Bill Doran of the 99th Aero that I posted some time ago.

post-3356-1220282851.jpg

Croix de Guerre

These photos came with an American Field Service album I bought back in the spring. It shows some recently Federalized SSU 14 ambulance drivers with an American pilot and his aircraft. Can any one identify my pilot?

post-3356-1220535952.jpg

Croix de Guerre
These photos came with an American Field Service album I bought back in the spring. It shows some recently Federalized SSU 14 ambulance drivers with an American pilot and his aircraft. Can any one identify my pilot?

post-3356-1220535995.jpg

Croix de Guerre

post-3356-1220536022.jpg

Croix de Guerre

post-3356-1220536046.jpg

• 1 month later...

Croix de Guerre -

The pilot is James N. Hall , 34th volunteer of the Lafayette Escadrille. The same Hall that wrote, along with Charles Nordhoff, Mutiny on the Bounty.

He later served with the 94th Aero Squadron, but was shot down on 7 May 1918. Another thread mentioned he was downed when his Nieuport lost the fabric on the upper wing - only partly true. He did experience one of those classic failures in a combat with German fighters, but he managed to recover and whilelimping home he took a direct hit by German AA in the engine. The shell did not explode, but nearly ripped the engine out of his airplane. There's a great photo of his beat up Nieuport in German hands, wing fabric shredded, landing gear sheared off, cowl and engine just barely still attached to the airframe

Obviously forunate to survive....

The SPAD VII is probably his flown with the Lafayette, though I have no records to tie that serial number to him. The photo of the group and the pilot in flying combination is also Hall.

-Mike