Photos Portraits of Pilots wearing WWI Wings

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre

I was scanning a lot of photos today and thought you all might enjoy seeing a few different examples of pilots wearing their wings.

#1 Unknown pilot

post-3356-1219955530.jpg

Croix de Guerre
I was scanning a lot of photos today and thought you all might enjoy seeing a few different examples of pilots wearing their wings.

#1 Unknown pilot

#2 Unknown Pilot

post-3356-1219955622.jpg

Croix de Guerre

Pilot #3

This image came with a dog tag to a Lt named Dorwart but I think it was a put together. This image has a Richmond, Virginia photographers imprint.

post-3356-1219955778.jpg

A super nice picture of USAAC airship pilot. I believe that only about 90 or so pilot rated these wings. Sadly, he isnt IDed...

One photo of him in the mid-20s and one in the late 30's I would guess.

post-1519-1219966152.jpg

post-1519-1219966202.jpg

Lt S A Sloan of the 268th Aerosquadron. This was in a great collection of WWI and post WWI photos.

The second photo is of Sloan and his observer and another pilot and his observer. I believe they got "cooties" and had to be deloused.

post-1519-1219966700.jpg

post-1519-1219966728.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Not great detail on the wings, but I just got this as part of a group and had to show it! One of my Foggia pilots:

post-203-1219976730.jpg

Oliver Stout

SSN: 303-05-6611

Last Residence: 46205 Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana, United States of America

Born: 11 Mar 1896

Died: May 1971

State (Year) SSN issued: Indiana (Before 1951 )

Oliver H Stout

[Oliver L Stout]

Home in 1920: Indianapolis Ward 3, Marion, Indiana

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897

Birthplace: Indiana

Relation to Head of House: Son-in-law

Spouse's Name: Helen

Father's Birth Place: Indiana

Mother's Birth Place: Indiana

Marital Status: Married

Race: White

Sex: Male

Able to read: Yes

Able to Write: Yes

Image: 639

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

Marguerite P Braden 56

Oliver H Stout 23

Helen Stout 22

Clara Allen 40

Thanks CdG for the information. Here is a little post war info on Stout:

"December 1949. Indiana became the first state to name a chief of the newly authorized air section of its state National Guard headquarters staff with the appointment of Brig. Gen. Oliver H. Stout to that post."

The Stout family is fairly prominent in Indianapolis. Stout Field is named after his brother Richard Stout, another WWI aviator and was the Headquarter for Troop Carrier Command during WWII.

I've seen very early metal wings but the jewelers mark in the back was somewhere in Texas, where the signal corps air service started.

Hey! His folks started Stout Shoes in Indianapolis. The last time I was there his picture was still framed by the front door.

The kewl thing about stout shoes was that its about the oldest shoe store still around. Their stockroom was on a second floor, so they had old fashioned office equipment to get shoes from the stockroom. Baskets on a clothes line that shoot back and forth.

And it was next to Bazbeau pizza, which is also a something to do in indianapolis.

John

Not great detail on the wings, but I just got this as part of a group and had to show it! One of my Foggia pilots:

post-203-1219976730.jpg

brandon_rss18

I REALLY like these WW1 wings, but have never actually priced them because I was scared too. What do these usually go for? And just for entertainment value, how much do the airship wings run around?

Based on what I have been seeing on ebay. People can quibble about the range, but this is what I see around.

Bullion wings 600-1200$ depending on how "sure" people are they are legit. A recent bullion wing with a manufacturer's lable on the back went for around 1800$ IIRC. I think anything "good" is going to be around 800$ or more.

Dallas wings sell for about 1200-1700$ Some of the rarer variations may sell for more. Some very good fakes of these, so you need to know what you are doing.

Other types (e.g. Shreve, Eisenstad, Robbins, Gaunt, etc) of metal wings seem to go for 1500-2000, but again some of the rarer variations get significantly more.

Tiffany I have only seen them in the 3000-5000$ range, but I know a few people that got them cheaper than that.

It seems that I see that about 1-2 dozen good 100% legit WWI vintage wings come up on ebay each year, with a few rare others that sometimes show up and are mis-identified or mis-labled and get sold for cheaply. The vast majority on ebay are fakes or reproductions adn a few wings that can go either way.

Dealer sites that do offer wings, you may need to multiply the values cited above by 1.5 to 2 times. Sadly, a few of the dealers who offer WWI wings ALSO spend alot of time buying them off of ebay. Also, if a bidding war breaks out, or two people with sniping ware decide they want this, then I have seen some really stupid money being spent.

Funny thing, a few recent obvious fakes went for big money on ebay recently. So people are buying up stuff that they apparently have little knowledge about.

ONe last thing, I think airship wings could easily reach the 1000$+ mark BUT the problem there is that the fakes are so hard to tell from the originals. Certain patterns I wont even touch.

Patrick