British Military Cross 8/10 Gordon Highlanders

Baldwin Longstreth Keyes, M.D., D.Ss., LL.D. was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on July 29, 1893, to American parents. His paternal grandfather was a strong supporter of the Confederacy and was a close friend of Jefferson Davis. He invested large amounts of money in the secessionist government only to lose it to the fortunes of war. He moved his family to Brazil along with 1000 other Confederate Civil War veterans who didn’t like the idea of having to take an oath to “the Yankees” whom they had been fighting for four years. These settlers established the town of Americana in Brazil and called themselves “Confederados.” Keyes was reared near Rio de Janeiro and received his early education in mission schools. He spent time in London then came to the United States to complete his education at the University of Pennsylvania. Keys received his medical degree from Thomas Jefferson University in 1917. The day after he graduated Dr. Keyes joined the U.S. Army as a first Lieutenant, Medical Reserve. The British Forces requested 1000 Doctors for combat duty. Dr. Keys volunteered to become a combat surgeon and was assigned to the Gordon Highlanders, 8th/10th Battalion, Gordon Highlanders, 15th (Scottish) Division, British Expeditionary Force, one of the most decorated British combat units of World War I. Dr. Keys made several daring rescues of soldiers on the battlefield and joked that the only reason he lived was because of his stature, he was five feet tall, he said “they kept shooting over my head.” Dr. Keyes was awarded the British Military Cross for Valor in March of 1918 in list No. 27, British War Office, dated September 3, 1918.

British Military Cross awarded by Field Marshall Sir Douglas Haig, under authority of His Majesty King George V, May 1918

For following act of gallantry:

“On 21st March 1918, When the Battalion (8/10 Gordon Highlanders) was holding the line just S.E. of MONCHY, the front line was under intensive bombardment for several hours. The communication trenches became obliterated and the casualties could not be removed. Lieutenant Keys made his way to the front line through the enemy barrage and attended to many serious cases there, showing complete disregard for his own safety in carrying out his work. During the same fighting on 28th March, 1918, it became necessary to move the Regimental Aid Post to another position. When all the Regimental and attached R.A.M.C. bearers had removed all the cases they could carry, there still remained a number of serious stretcher cases. Lieutenant Keys remained behind and by improvising some stretchers from material at hand, he removed all the cases in the face of the enemy with the help of a few men he collected, himself assisting in the work. If it had not been for his prompt action and fearless behavior the wounded would have been inevitably been taken prisoners. Throughout the heavy fighting at the end of March he worked with untiring zeal and cheerfulness under trying conditions; his fearless conduct was an example and encouragement to all ranks.”

Promoted to Captain, Keyes was detached from the British Army, returned to the American Army, where he worked as a combat surgeon. Dr. Keyes served as commanding officer of Jefferson's 38th General Hospital Unit for the U.S. Army in Egypt during World War II. Later, Dr. Keys was responsible for all medical installations in Palestine, Libya, Egypt, Sudan and Eritrea. Dr. Baldwin L. Keyes died on June 6, 1994. He was the longest living alumnus at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital's School of Medicine, founding chairman of the psychiatry department and professor emeritus.

post-9487-0-72765900-1455130613.jpg

post-9487-0-60123500-1455130644.jpg

post-9487-0-10215900-1455130652.jpg

post-9487-0-64252700-1455130660.jpg

post-9487-0-73807300-1455130707.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

One of the finest grouping I've seen in awhile. an outstanging history of a real hero. I just imagine how many generations he saved. Just amazing! Thanks for posting! David

Pvt. James H. Honey 1st Md. Eastern shore Vol. Inf. Co. D (union) Gettysburg
Pvt. George Eddie Lear 26th Inf. Co.H 1st Div .(WW1) P.H. WIA Cpl. Richard Elsea 268th C.A. Bn. Battery A. WW2 SSgt. Grant Elsea 314th Inf. Hq.Co. I.R.79thDiv. WW2
Cpl. Harry Lawrence Butler Jr 23rd Regt. WIA Korea Lt. George Olin Tilghman 111th MG. 29th Div. WW1 DIS France 1919
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Fantastic! Bob

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Magnificent group and top-shelf research. This is a fine tribute to the Veteran. Well done and thank you SO much for taking the time to share it with us.

JAG

Top dollar paid for WWI AEF Tank Corps uniforms, medal groups, equipment and photos,
unit histories and rosters...especially anything associated with

301st (Heavy) Tank Bn
Drop me an email and let me know what you have.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. The Scottish connection is fascinating, the British & US badges/medals awesome.

David
U.S. Air Force 1979-1986 ... Served in the Air Force Communications Command
Collecting U.S. Military Uniform Buttons and U.S. Air Force Communications Patches.

US Military Uniform Buttons Interesting Facts

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/173001-us-military-uniform-buttons-interesting-facts/

Wanted: USAF Communications patches (link below)

https://docs.google....ZjgyZDc5NzFiOGE

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

That is the finest engraving I have ever seen on a Military Cross.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement.

A night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities to experience all three at the same time.

You can not pronounce as knowledge anything you can not demonstrate.

ASMIC Secretary

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

What was the red, blue and gold ribbon on the far right of this particular ribbon bar from above awarded for?

Military Order of the World War membership badge. You can see the full-sized and miniature medal in the group photo.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, I have no idea where to look for confirmation of the Mentioned-in-Despatches device on his British Victory Medal. The MC Citation indicated that he had been cited other times.

Dick

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, I have no idea where to look for confirmation of the Mentioned-in-Despatches device on his British Victory Medal. The MC Citation indicated that he had been cited other times.

Dick

The London Gazette would be a great place to start it should also have information regarding his commission , promotions and citations

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible! Touches so many interests.

"The cold blooded historian goes mousing among old letters and he finds that these early heroes were men and women, of like frailties with ourselves. But the glory of heroism is not that angels come down to mingle in the affairs of men, but that common men and women, when the occasion demands, can rise to such sublime heights of heroism and self sacrifice." Cordley, Richard. A History of Lawrence, Kansas: From the First Settlement to the Close of the Rebellion. 1895.

Handwritten/Research Material, Photography, Documents, Maps, Rare Books, Historica.

Complete Collections Purchased.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Military Order of the World War membership badge. You can see the full-sized and miniature medal in the group photo.

I believe this ribbon and medal are membership badges for the Military Order of Foreign Wars.

I'm a life member (hereditary) of the Military Order of the World Wars. The ribbon is a double rainbow just like the WWI Victory medal, but in reverse order, red on the edges, purple in center.

I'll have to try to find mine, which I'll post whenever I do.

No matter, still one of the absolutely finest WWI American groups I've seen!

Thanks for sharing!

I have too much stuff!

Revolutionary War through Korea.

Lots of field gear, some uniforms and "one or two" medals and a bit of insignia. Plus lots of odds and ends, too many and varied to go into detail here. Just ask and I'll try to help. Who knows? Maybe we can work something out!

• 9 months later...