Bombardier's Kit

Wistarmo@embarqmail.com

I attempted to re-create the contents of the WWII USAAF Bombardier's Kit. The first image is taken from the Bombardier's Information File, and the second is my equipment. The pilot's penlight is an A-6B. I will have to wait until and A-6 becomes available to make it fully accurate.

post-160252-0-12907400-1455118222.jpg

post-160252-0-58067100-1455118234.jpg

I had a guy at the Alabama Military Collectors Association Huntsville Show a couple of weeks ago offer to trade me an A-6 Pilots Pen Light in near perfect condition. I knew nothing of the value of one so I turned him down. Just saying this to let you know they are out there.

You have a nice display.

Ronnie

Well, I have two functioning Norden bombsights I have restored, and you can't do anything to them without a screwdriver, and I can see where the pliers might be handy. I will be putting on a demonstration of the Norden bombsight at this year's MacDill AFB Airfest/75th Anniversary and I am told that there will be two WWII veteran bombardier instructors there to work with me. I plan to have a lot of questions for them, including the contents of the kit. Here is a link to my video of my working bombsight and instructions on use:

doinworkinvans

I attempted to re-create the contents of the WWII USAAF Bombardier's Kit. The first image is taken from the Bombardier's Information File, and the second is my equipment. The pilot's penlight is an A-6B. I will have to wait until and A-6 becomes available to make it fully accurate.

To make it fully accurate you'll have to get some period batteries and get rid of those Energizers!! :P

I only kid obviously....

Man this is seriously too cool! The attention to detail is top notch and you have some great and rare items there.

I am truly impressed!

-Daniel

No, the tools are not marked AAF. Based on the inquiries, I should probably elaborate on the items and their sources. The e-1 bombardier case is a reproduction. (I have two USAAF e-1 cases, but they are dark olive and rather dingy). The four computers are authentic, although the small one is a D-4, not a J-1, which seems to be available once a decade. The watch, stopwatch, and Weems plotter are authentic. The bombing tables are authentic, but of the wrong type. The flashlight is authentic, but an A-6B, when it should be an A-6. The remainder of the items, including most so the tools, are the best mates I could find.

• 1 month later...
Brian Keith

Man this is seriously too cool! The attention to detail is top notch and you have some great and rare items there.

I am truly impressed!

-Daniel

I Echo what Daniel said, it is evident you have been working very hard to assemble the kit. Sometimes we are quick to point out what is not 100% correct, we neglect what is 100% correct and forget how hard some of these tiny details are to find. Thank-You for preserving history and doing the detail work!

BKW

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an update. All equipment is now USAAF original except for the pliers, screwdriver, pencils, batteries, and paper clips. The bag is the correct color. I cannot find Champion AA batteries anywhere, and cannot find that manufacturer of paper clips. A previous post had inquired about the pliers; I found out they were used by the bombardier to pull out pins to arm the bomb fuses.

post-160252-0-59392000-1514143126.jpg

• 1 month later...

No, the tools are not marked AAF. Based on the inquiries, I should probably elaborate on the items and their sources. The e-1 bombardier case is a reproduction. (I have two USAAF e-1 cases, but they are dark olive and rather dingy). The four computers are authentic, although the small one is a D-4, not a J-1, which seems to be available once a decade. The watch, stopwatch, and Weems plotter are authentic. The bombing tables are authentic, but of the wrong type. The flashlight is authentic, but an A-6B, when it should be an A-6. The remainder of the items, including most so the tools, are the best mates I could find.

Great display! I'm also working on putting together all of the contents. Where did you get the reproduction E-1 case? I've been looking and only found a company in France. Thanks!

Walt

Yes, in the first picture, that was a reproduction E-case in the light brown as opposed to the usual olive. I got that from the same French company that you found. In the updated second photo, that is an original light brown E-1 case that I acquired from an estate sale a year later. I was fortunate; those light brown ones are hard to come by.