• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Wistarmo@embarqmail.com

Bombardier's Kit

I attempted to re-create the contents of the WWII USAAF Bombardier's Kit. The first image is taken from the Bombardier's Information File, and the second is my equipment. The pilot's penlight is an A-6B. I will have to wait until and A-6 becomes available to make it fully accurate.

post-160252-0-12907400-1455118222.jpg

post-160252-0-58067100-1455118234.jpg

Very impressive..some very nice items in your bag.......I gotta ask about the need for pliers and screw driver... for the sextant???

I had a guy at the Alabama Military Collectors Association Huntsville Show a couple of weeks ago offer to trade me an A-6 Pilots Pen Light in near perfect condition. I knew nothing of the value of one so I turned him down. Just saying this to let you know they are out there.

You have a nice display.

Ronnie

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

hello

really nice. Could you please add some close up views of the compass and skrewdriver.

Thanks

Looking for a pair of E1 heated gloves

donation2014.gif

Well, I have two functioning Norden bombsights I have restored, and you can't do anything to them without a screwdriver, and I can see where the pliers might be handy. I will be putting on a demonstration of the Norden bombsight at this year's MacDill AFB Airfest/75th Anniversary and I am told that there will be two WWII veteran bombardier instructors there to work with me. I plan to have a lot of questions for them, including the contents of the kit. Here is a link to my video of my working bombsight and instructions on use:

I attempted to re-create the contents of the WWII USAAF Bombardier's Kit. The first image is taken from the Bombardier's Information File, and the second is my equipment. The pilot's penlight is an A-6B. I will have to wait until and A-6 becomes available to make it fully accurate.

To make it fully accurate you'll have to get some period batteries and get rid of those Energizers!! :P

I only kid obviously....

Man this is seriously too cool! The attention to detail is top notch and you have some great and rare items there.

I am truly impressed!

-Daniel

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

USAAF93,

There is no compass there; do you mean the dividers?

Yes indeed. Sorry for my english.

donation2014.gif

thanks. I wanted to check if there was any "army air force" markings on them. It is still a nice display

donation2014.gif

were hand tools marked AAF?? I did find an old pair of Ford pliers with the F script...but have not run across AAF marked tools...

No, the tools are not marked AAF. Based on the inquiries, I should probably elaborate on the items and their sources. The e-1 bombardier case is a reproduction. (I have two USAAF e-1 cases, but they are dark olive and rather dingy). The four computers are authentic, although the small one is a D-4, not a J-1, which seems to be available once a decade. The watch, stopwatch, and Weems plotter are authentic. The bombing tables are authentic, but of the wrong type. The flashlight is authentic, but an A-6B, when it should be an A-6. The remainder of the items, including most so the tools, are the best mates I could find.

Man this is seriously too cool! The attention to detail is top notch and you have some great and rare items there.

I am truly impressed!

-Daniel

I Echo what Daniel said, it is evident you have been working very hard to assemble the kit. Sometimes we are quick to point out what is not 100% correct, we neglect what is 100% correct and forget how hard some of these tiny details are to find. Thank-You for preserving history and doing the detail work!

BKW

I'm half way there. Your presentation is incentive to get on the stick, and continue the search. Nicely presented. Jack

donation2007.gifdonation2014.gif

Here is an update. All equipment is now USAAF original except for the pliers, screwdriver, pencils, batteries, and paper clips. The bag is the correct color. I cannot find Champion AA batteries anywhere, and cannot find that manufacturer of paper clips. A previous post had inquired about the pliers; I found out they were used by the bombardier to pull out pins to arm the bomb fuses.

post-160252-0-59392000-1514143126.jpg

That, is impressive, very.

Would love to know how long a time it took to pull it all together.

HONORING FAMILY LtCol Wm Russell (1679-1757) VA Mil; Pvt Zachariah McKay (1714-97) Frederick VA Mil; BrigGen Evan Shelby, Jr (1719-94) VA Mil; Pvt Vincent Hobbs (1722-1808) Wythe VA Mil; Pvt Hugh Alexander (1724-77); Lt John R. Litton (1726-1804); Bvt BrigGen/Col Wm W. Russell (1735-93) 5th VA Rgmt; Lt James Scott (1736-1817); Capt John Murray, Sr (1747-1833); Capt John Sehorn, Sr (1748-1831) VA Mil; Pvt Corbin Lane (1750-1816) Franklin/TN Mil; Cpl Jesse D. Reynolds (1750-1836) 5th VA Rgmt; Capt. Solomon C. Litton (1751-1844); 1Lt Christopher Casey (1754-1840) SC Mil; Pvt Mark Adams (1755-1828); Pvt Randolph White (1755-1831) Bailey's Co. VA Rgmt; Capt. John R. Russell (1758-1838); Pvt Joseph T. Cooley (1767-1826) Fort Hempstead Mil; Pvt Thomas Barron (1776-1863) 1812; Capt. John Baumgardner (1787-1853) VA Mil; Pvt Joel Estep (1828-1864) Co B 5th KY Inf CSA & US; Pvt George B. Bell (1833-1910) Co C 47th IL Inf US; Cpl Daniel H. Barron (1838-1910) Co B 19th TN Rgmt Inf CSA; Capt Richard K. Kaufman (1908-1946) 7th PRG/3rd AF CCU; T-5 Vernon L. Bell (1926-95) 1802nd Spec Rgmt; PO2 Murray J. Heichman (1932-2019) HQSB/MCRD; PFC Jess Long (1934-2017) US Army; PFC Donald W. Johnson (1931-) 43rd ID HQ; A1C Keith W. Bell (1931-2011) 314th TCW; A3C Michael S. Bell (1946-) 3346th CMS; A1C Sam W. Lee (1954-2017) 2d BW; AW3 Keith J. Price (1975-) VP-10; 1Lt Matthew Wm Bell (1985-) 82nd Abn/SOC

Nice A-6 penlight. Try to buy some vintage batteries at Ebay (even post war). Better look than modern energizer ones.

Regards,

Jerry

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2019.gif

No, the tools are not marked AAF. Based on the inquiries, I should probably elaborate on the items and their sources. The e-1 bombardier case is a reproduction. (I have two USAAF e-1 cases, but they are dark olive and rather dingy). The four computers are authentic, although the small one is a D-4, not a J-1, which seems to be available once a decade. The watch, stopwatch, and Weems plotter are authentic. The bombing tables are authentic, but of the wrong type. The flashlight is authentic, but an A-6B, when it should be an A-6. The remainder of the items, including most so the tools, are the best mates I could find.

Great display! I'm also working on putting together all of the contents. Where did you get the reproduction E-1 case? I've been looking and only found a company in France. Thanks!

Walt

CURRAHEE!

Yes, in the first picture, that was a reproduction E-case in the light brown as opposed to the usual olive. I got that from the same French company that you found. In the updated second photo, that is an original light brown E-1 case that I acquired from an estate sale a year later. I was fortunate; those light brown ones are hard to come by.