WW I Wings...a question of size.

IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the size of WWI wings. I am familiar with the 2" variety of wings in WWII being worn on the shirt and referred to as "shirt size", however, does this same terminology apply to WWI wings? The reason that I am asking is that there seems to be a very broad range of sizes, shapes and designs for the WWI period wing. Is it correct to refer to any WWI wing that measures under 3" as a "shirt size", or are the differing sizes the result of vague guidelines for wings of that period?

Hi Steve,

I dont think it was the same as it was in WWII. Its kind of funny, most WWI wings are bigger than their WWII conterparts, but the uniforms tend to be smaller!

I suspect that the smaller WWII style wings were intended as sweetheart items. Sometimes they are are called "hat size" wings for wearing on the fore and aft caps (or what ever they call them).

Patrick

IMPERIAL QUEST
Hi Steve,

I dont think it was the same as it was in WWII. Its kind of funny, most WWI wings are bigger than their WWII conterparts, but the uniforms tend to be smaller!

I suspect that the smaller WWII style wings were intended as sweetheart items. Sometimes they are are called "hat size" wings for wearing on the fore and aft caps (or what ever they call them).

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. Concerning the hat size and sweetheart variants, this makes sense....but I wonder if some pilots preferred these "prinzen" (sorry, a German term, old habbits die hard) size, or smaller wings when in uniform? Any known photos to illustrate?