USMC Fourth Base Defense Air Wing

kklinejr

Well, one of my connections to a flea market vendor really paid off today. I received a call yesterday afternoon and just picked up a collection of around 100 SSI. About half were common pieces (commands, etc.) but the other half were USMC and, more importantly, all original. Among the nicer ones (including a set of USMC MAC pieces including a nice smiling Casper) was this unsewn Fourth Base Defense Air Wing SSI. I know some of the advanced collectors here probably have a dozen or so of these, but this makes my 2nd one in five years of searching. From the Marine Corps Legacy Museum: The 4th MBDAW was commissioned 22 August 1942 at Ewa, Hawaii. The wing's three squadrons were located at Midway, Ewa, and Samoa with headquarters at Ewa. In the fall of 1944, the 4th MABDAW became the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing. As the war progresses across the Pacific, 4th MAW pilots refined fighter bombing and low-flying altitude flying techniques.

I thought it was a pretty cool find.

Ken

post-99-1219935058.jpg

Are the completely merrowed variations rarer than the felt ones?

Lars

You mean embroidered right? Either way, I'm sure both versions are pretty scarce.

-Ski

You mean embroidered right? Either way, I'm sure both versions are pretty scarce.

-Ski

Although both are scarce, I'd say that the felt variant has the edge.

Bob