WW2 Japanese Type 99 Bringback

Fritz

Just picked this up, was sent home by John Hobensack of the 1st Medical Squadron, talk about a time warp piece. From what I've found looks like this unit was with the 1st Cav and I think it may have come from Leyte, need to find out for sure where this unit was stationed but initial research is telling me they were only on that island, thoughts?

Fritz

post-4127-0-05247300-1454795107.jpeg

post-4127-0-21707700-1454795119.jpeg

post-4127-0-65494200-1454795131.jpeg

If this is the same rifle that I saw at the Dallas Arms Collector show ? There was a beautiful rear ammo poch with the oiler, full of ammo. It was a beauty....either way. Congratulations Its very nice!

The 1st Cavalry Division was on The Admiralty Islands including: Los Negros Island, Manus, Butjo Luo, Hauwei Island, Ptyilu Island before reaching the

Main Island of the Philippines.

Looks like it was one built towards the end of the war as it has a wooden buttplate.....The bayonet and bolt wrapped up reminds me of the Arisaka that was wrapped together with a Japanese sword and sent home by a GI....The guy was killed after he sent the pieces home and the family never unwrapped them....They than came up for public auction.....Bodes

Thanks Bodes, not sure of the vintage, most likely mid war has the AA sights but not the monopod, it has a standard metal buttplate , rifle was made at Nagoya.

Fritz

Looks like it was one built towards the end of the war as it has a wooden buttplate.....The bayonet and bolt wrapped up reminds me of the Arisaka that was wrapped together with a Japanese sword and sent home by a GI....The guy was killed after he sent the pieces home and the family never unwrapped them....They than came up for public auction.....Bodes

Yeah, I went back and forth and my eyes (which are in need of new glasses) thought they saw a wood buttplate...My faux pas....Yeah, it's likely in the time frame you suggest, as they did eventually stop using the aircraft sights...Bodes

I had one like that in my collection for years. The box was made the same way and still had the stamps and declaration certificate attached. Does it still have the "mum" on the receiver??

Beautiful rifle and shipping box. I love those Type 99s. I'll assume that's a type 30 bayonet all wrapped and I'll also assume you won't unwrap it. My dad was with the 32nd Infantry Division in the Philippines and I believe they fought alongside the 1st Cav. Division in northern Luzon towards the end of the war.

I had one like that in my collection for years. The box was made the same way and still had the stamps and declaration certificate attached. Does it still have the "mum" on the receiver??

Nice, I've had one other 99 like this that I sold about 4-5 years ago, wish I still had it but luckily I found this one to refill the void. As for the mum, it's been lightly hit with a grinder but still pretty visible.

Fritz

I always thought a rifle sent home during the war would usually have an intact mum. Would that mean it was sent back at the very end of the war, then? I've read that units would have piles and guys got to pick a rifle or sword to send home from it after they were turned in it collected and "demilitarized" by removing the mum. I have one of these that I think was made in the last 5 minutes of the war from its appearance and it has lost most of its mum. It was sent home by a local sailor.

I'm sure Miss Hobensack was just pleased as punch to open a box with a rifle and bayonet!

Maybe that is why it still survives like this today. Great piece!

BKW

Love your rifle Fritz! I found it funny that the lid of the box said "Value under $50". You can't even get the bayonet for that anymore let alone the rest of the contents. I have a rifle just like yours I bought from a local Navy vet who personally ground off the mum on it as that was his job at the end of the war. I wish he had a box with it like yours does but it has its own unique charm. Also love your avatar picture. I had a great uncle who served with the 83rd Division during WW2 but he died not long after D-Day.

Thanks Blu1989! Rifles like this don't come around too often.

I like my avatar, I served in the 83rd from 1984 till they disbanded and rolled into the 88th, I have a special thing for the 83rd, was a well known division that IMO shouldn't have been demobilized.

Fritz

• 1 month later...