USMC Poncho

Sregez80

Just bought a poncho and it is very stiff and brittle with a great deal of talcum powder on it. Is there any way to help this so its not as stiff? I would like to display this but am afraid of it doing more harm. Thanks

Water will soften the poncho but when dry it will stiffen again.I once found two in a old garage and they were very dusty so hit them with water.They were pliable until dry.

I havent tried using a fabric softener on these or products like armor all or other treatments that may be silicone based.Maybe one day I will find aother that can be a test subject.

Go to a boat dealer and get some very good marine cloth and vinyl conditioner.

I purchased a nos 70 year old leatherette windshield apron for my wwii WLA Harley it was not cheap $400 and they are super hard to find so I wanted to do anything I could to make it come alive and stay that way.

I got some 303 Aerospace protectant this stuff brought this apron back to life it looks new and pliable again.

It's the number one conditioner for rubber and vinyl and other water proof materials.

Try hanging it in the sun (in short supply during February). That worked for me severaL years when I had a good run of finding WWII (and pre-war) USMC ponchos that had been folded up for decades. It doesn't get out the fold marks but it softens it up so it drapes nicely over a mannequin.