Market Garden 101 AB ZD Tactical Maps

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Some time ago I picked up several fantastic GSGS 4427 1:25,000 tactical maps of the 101 AD Drop Zones during Operation Market Garden. These maps were found in a map case to the south of Nijmegen after the war and were purchased from a dealer in Holland. The maps are primarily in the area where the 501, 502, and 506 were engaged, Map titled: OIRSCHOT, VECHEL, BOKSTEL, and HERTOGENBOSCH.

I'm going to post some larger pictures for the good of the members of this forum. I would like to point out that the Vechel and Bokstel maps have original tactical notations such as arrows along road ways, circled villages and crossroads, and notations like "Yellow", "Blue", "Red", "1C", "5C", "1E", "1BW", "5BW", "7BW". If anybody could share some informed incite about these notations I would greatly appreciate the information.

post-17994-0-27462800-1454779093.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

nebelwerfar,

No! I asked but apparently the case was used post war as a school book bag for the families children and didn't survive as long as the paper that was originally in the map case.

• 4 years later...

Hello, 

On map3 the right penciled box in the city of veghel is villa klondike, the local military headquarters of staff at time of ww2

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Villa_Klondike_-_Veghel,_2014.jpg

The other boxen section  would be another prominent building  probaly nowadays zuidkade 24, the purpose of this building in the war is don't know.

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Zuidkade_24,_Veghel.JPG

If you ever want to sell this map of veghel, ik would be very intetested, as a citizen of veghel city. And it would get a prominent framed place in my livingroom.

Kind regards 

Martijn Rieter