Sign in to follow this  
ordnance

XM-61 Linear Mine, also known as Fragmacord

Here's an unusual and rarely seen piece of Vietnam munitions for your enjoyment. I've had it for a number of years and eventually found a copy of the test report on microfiche for a positive identification but had never seen a period photograph until recently. It is a length of XM-61 Linear Mine, also known as Fragmacord.

Two months ago I finally bought a copy of John Plaster's photo history of MACV-SOG and was surprised to see this photograph inside. The caption says it's a length of det. cord with washers slipped over for fragmentation, which is not correct. It was actually factory produced that way with square wire fragmentation coils crimped over a heavy det. cord liner. It could be cut to various lengths and used as an anti-personnel mine or hasty booby trap. My piece is an inert training version and the simulated det. cord is blue rubber with a nylon cord thread down the center. I've never seen another example among other ordnance collectors but I'm sure there's more out there. Any other sightings?

PICT0110.JPG

donation2007.gif

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.