WWI Monument to the 117th Infantry Regiment in Knoxville, TN

KVSkelton

During 1921 a monument was erected in front of Knoxville High School in honor of the men who served in the 117th Infantry Regiment during WW1. The 117th had been part of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry in the pre-war National Guard. Called into service, the unit became the 117th Infantry Regiment, serving during the Great War as part of the 30th Infantry Division. On May 22, 1922 a special dedication ceremony was held. General John Pershing was one of the guest speakers that addressed the crowd of approximately 7,000.

Though the high school, now the "Historic Old Knoxville High School," closed in 1951 both the building and the monument still stand. After falling into disrepair and facing an uncertain future, the building is now being renovated. If you travel on Interstate 40 through the city, both the high school and the monument are clearly visible from the southbound lanes. I visited the monument a few weekends ago and thought I'd share some photos. It's located at 101 E. Fifth Ave, Knoxville, TN.

post-7504-0-86582700-1454645294.jpg

This monument means a lot to me because my Great Grandfather fought with the 117th, serving in Company F. Here is a photo of him taken in approximately 1926. To the right in the photo is his son who would die serving with the 36th Infantry Division in 1945. To the left in the photo is my Grandmother. Note my G Grandfather's Indian motorcycle in the background.

post-7504-0-05557900-1454645848.jpg

Here he is the day my G Grandfather sent his son off to war in 1944. His son took this photo. Those are my grandparents on the right (that is my Grandmother from the picture above). My Grandfather was 4F due to flat feet and it haunted him for the rest of his life.

post-7504-0-66653400-1454645921.jpg

And as I remember him looking. This was 1961 when he was 64. He died in 1977, the year I turned 13. He never mentioned his service to me and I did not find out about it until I visited his grave and saw the military stone.

post-7504-0-67393700-1454646154.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Government Issue

Thank you for sharing the photos. I have always been fond of the "Spirit of the American Doughboy" statues. They're great symbols of a now distant generation. Thanks for also sharing about your Great Grandfather and your Great Uncle. May they rest in peace.

Did your Great Grandfather ever tell you any stories about the Indian? Mine had one as well and loved it.

Thank you for sharing the photos. I have always been fond of the "Spirit of the American Doughboy" statues. They're great symbols of a now distant generation. Thanks for also sharing about your Great Grandfather and your Great Uncle. May they rest in peace.

Did your Great Grandfather ever tell you any stories about the Indian? Mine had one as well and loved it.

Thanks for the kind words, Government Issue. Very much appreciated.

My Great Grandfather didn't tell me any stories about the Indian but the rest of the family sure did! He had a sidecar on it for a while and almost no one would ride with him because he was a holy terror on it! I believe the neighbors considered him to be a little scandalous in that regard. He had been raised in an orphanage and I believe after going to France he really didn't care what other folks thought. Everyone said he loved his Indian, too!

Government Issue

Thanks for the kind words, Government Issue. Very much appreciated.

My Great Grandfather didn't tell me any stories about the Indian but the rest of the family sure did! He had a sidecar on it for a while and almost no one would ride with him because he was a holy terror on it! I believe the neighbors considered him to be a little scandalous in that regard. He had been raised in an orphanage and I believe after going to France he really didn't care what other folks thought. Everyone said he loved his Indian, too!

Thanks for sharing another story. I got a good laugh out of it, and can completely understand your reasoning. He deserved to ride that bike however he wanted after experiencing the trenches.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful monument, thank you for sharing it. Beautiful building in the background as well, glad they did not demolish either one. My grandfather was the same way, never spoke of his service.