1st Beach Master Unit

double canister

double canister

This 1st BMU appears to be foreign-made. I guessing Japanese for Vietnam. Patch is 2 3/4 inches tall. Any thoughts?

post-75788-0-83308100-1454634381.jpg

Since BMU-1 participated in operations in Vietnam for almost the entire duration of the conflict (in one form or another), and this patch is Japanese made during that era, it's probably safe to consider this patch Vietnam related.

BMU1 is a Pacific Fleet unit. They deploy regularly, just like any other Fleet unit. They continued to wear this patch until they replaced their OD green fatigues with Woodland Cammo in the mid '80s. These patches were purchased by the unit supply system from the cheapest lvender available. So, theoretically,?this could have been purchased and issued any time up to the mid '80s. Just saying.

Sigsaye brings up a good point. It wouldn't be correct to say that this patch was specifically "for Vietnam". I've had several of these over the years, and all have been Japanese made just like yours. I even once had an early 1960s style OD green fatigue shirt with this (and a matching Navy Beach Group 1 patch) still sewn on. I think your example is most likely Vietnam era, but it would be impossible to tie it directly to Vietnam without knowing who wore it.

Either way, its a great example of what this unit was wearing during Vietnam and would not be out of place in a Vietnam collection.