Oklahoma Fly-Boy

tarbridge

A new group I was lucky enough to find.Major Quince L Brown, Jr...a man of his time...a celebrated pilot who became a Ace.Here is a little of his story. .."If ye break faith with us who die, We shall not sleep ".

rps20160122_192510.jpg

He is credited with 12.5 and some places 14.5 kills.

Quince Lucien Brown ,Major

Birth

December 7, 1917

Oklahoma

Death

September 6, 1944

Schleiden, Duren, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

Time In Service

To: September 6, 1944

US Army Air Corps

8th Army Air Corps, 84th Fighter Squadron, 78th Fighter Group

Specialty

Air Force P-47D Fighter Bombers Ace Pilot

Current Status

Captured and killed in action.

Service Record

War

WWII, European Theatre Operations

Battle(s)

Germany

Honors & Awards

Award(s)

Flying Cross with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters.

2 Silver Stars.

French Croix de Guerre with palm.

Air Medal with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters.

European Liberation & European Theatre of Operations Ribbons.

Family stories have it that Quince's pet dog, seen in the picture, after his death, was sent back to Quince's parents where it spent the rest of its days. "Okie" was the name of two P-47 fighter/bombers piloted by Major Quince L. Brown of the 84th Fighter Squadron, 78th Fighter Group, during WWII. Brown was one of the 8th Army Air Force's first aces and credited with 14.33 victories. His first P-47D was noted for its distinctive artwork. He was killed during his second combat tour. Brown's hometown was Bristow, Oklahoma, and he was inducted in to the Oklahoma Aviation and Space Hall of Fame in 1994.rps20160122_192542.jpg

Quince Lucien Brown ,Major

Here is a version of his death...

78th FG 84th FS. Major Brown was the first American pilot to strafe a Nazi ground target in WW2.His record is 13 in the air and one on the ground. The ace pilot went down on 6th September 1944.

Eye witness report from 1st Lt Richard L Baron states, Maj Brown sighted Vogelsand Airfield. He called and said he was going to go over it and investigate. He made a steep turn and we (the flight) ended up in string formation. He went over first and I saw tracers going at him, so I hit low for the deck. I looked up and saw several strikes on his plane. He pulled up sharply as we got across and I pulled alongside. I saw his plane shake and the canopy come off. He then bailed out at about 1,200 feet. His parachute opened and I saw him land in a field. He then ran and lay down in some tall grass. I circled once and made sure no one was after him, and then left. I came back later and both the parachute and Maj Brown were gone.

The report of burial (the body was re-interred in a military cemetery) received by the group states that the pilot died of gunshot wounds in the head and neck, and that he had been interred by German civilians. It continued: It is believed that the remains were looted of personal effects prior to burial.

Another...posted on Facebook by the Duxford Eagles page...

rps20160204_200224.jpgrps20160204_200255.jpgrps20160204_200358.jpg

rps20160122_143758.jpg

rps20160122_145048.jpg

rps20160122_192526.jpg

Awesome group. What with the French Croix de guerre? It is mentioned that it was issued with a palm, but the shown medal has a star on the ribbon, which is a lower level issued CdG. It all depends on the base material of the star (gold, silver, bronze ).

Regards

Herman

Awesome group. What with the French Croix de guerre? It is mentioned that it was issued with a palm, but the shown medal has a star on the ribbon, which is a lower level issued CdG. It all depends on the base material of the star (gold, silver, bronze ).

Regards

Herman

It looks tarnished. ..my guess is silver...

What a tragic ending for this soldier and loss for his parents. To have survived parachuting from his plane then killed later is tragic. Hopefully they got some comfort in the fact that his dog made it home to stay with them.

...Kat

Out of curiosity, is there any original paperwork or accompanying items with the medals.

Only what you see...