Equipment Dates Collected for WWII & Why?

Reaper

Which WWII year(s) do you most prefer to collect?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite WWII field gear issue years to collect ?

This poll was originally conducted by mod RustyCanteen in 2011 and ended with some interesting results. Given the 4.5 years since, and the number of members (US and international) added during that time, I was curious as to whether the results would now be different and, if so, why? Many younger collectors have no doubt been added to our ranks as well.

The original poll may be found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/115203-web-equipment-dates-wwii/#fastreply

What are favorite years of issue field gear to collect and why? We'll not limit it to web gear this time, but will open the discussion up to ANY personal field gear. Why do you like to collect those year(s) specifically?

Multiple years may be chosen in the poll above.

Early marine corps 1941-1942 (and all the pre war goods) because they are hard to find but the hunt of early usmc gear is fun too.

Philipp Baughman

After thinking about this matter for some time, I decided to vote for 1943. (Although I collect from WWI to Vietnam)

I like it because it is connection between the early all-khaki and the later dark green gear with a wide variety of shades between.

Personally, I prefer the years '41 (for rarity), and '42 , but '43's OK too, mostly because items w/ these dates were most likely to have been actually used in combat in WWII. Also these early years have the most variations and specialized items . After that there was a lot more standardization.

Interesting: 1942 & 1943 are finally "neck & neck" with 1941 coming in a (relatively) close 3rd. 1944 is a distant 4th place, and 1945 a dismal 5th.

1942...as the US was "all in" for production purposes....gearing up etc...a lot of activity......

think a lot a guys bow out from 1945 gear as the gear was most likely on a shelf or still in the supply system when the war ended...generally speaking...

I personally like 1944 dated gear because not much of certain items were made due to the British made gear.

I also really like the transitional colors found in late 1943 and 1944 dated gear.

1944 dated canteen covers are a real bear to find as well as the nice original m1944 packs.

Personally, I prefer the years '41 (for rarity), and '42 , but '43's OK too, mostly because items w/ these dates were most likely to have been actually used in combat in WWII. Also these early years have the most variations and specialized items . After that there was a lot more standardization.

My thinking exactly.

I prefer late war, specifically 44 dated items, as it was a transitional period, in many photographs this is evident, a mixture of webbing is worn, all different colours.

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess that this turned out about the way we had all anticipated ... :)

Almost identical results to the original poll.

• 2 months later...
ParanormalTrooper

It was close for me, I chose 1942 but I also really like collecting 1941 stuff as well.

• 6 months later...

1942 ! Country gearing up for war and early khaki gear was the best color.

Helps a little that I was born on Jan. 4, 42, exactly 4 weeks, 28 days after Pearl Harbor.

Yeah I'm and old phart, been collecting since 1952, if not before.